possible for average student to do very well on step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

extend111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted some advice before I plunge into Step 1 prep. I am what I would consider an average/slightly above average student, I have high passed all my classes but I've never honored (came close a few times). But that being said, I never really worked hard for any of my classes, my exam prep would consist of skipping lectures and slacking off followed by furious cramming within the few days before each exam. Now that it's time for step 1, I've decided to work my butt off to get a high score (>240 hopefully). I just wanted to know whether this is possible if I work very hard or if I'm condemned to an average score due to my lack of long term prep over the past 2 years (exam prep was mostly committing material to short term memory). I'm planning on starting step 1 prep earlier than the rest of my class to compensate for some of the subjects that I really slacked off on (microbio :oops:)

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think u need anyone to tell you whether you can do it or not.....i dont think anyone can.

step 1 is a reflection of the amount of hard work you put in...plus a sprinkle of luck :)

anyone can do it :) avg. above avg. below avg. if uv been a good student you can :)

plus theres always that NBME factor....take one see where you are.....ull do fine :)

gluck in ur prep and exam. :)

Meh, I think it's all dependent on how much work you put into it now. I know people who barely passed all their preclinical classes and ended up with 240+ on the step 1. Sometimes people just don't do that well with preclinical and excel on boards and clinical rotations.

If you are HP-ing your classes.. I'm pretty sure you are above average.

As for me, I'm only passing my classes. I'm praying for the best.