Possible for school to rescind interview request?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CU_buffalo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I received an interview request from Vanderbilt in early October. The only stipulation was that I needed to finish the secondary before I contacted them to schedule an interview date. Now, 6 weeks later, I still haven't finished their secondary. I plan to finish it this week before Thanksgiving, but I'm afraid given the lag time, they may have given my interview slot to someone else. Do you know if this sort of thing happens? Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks a bunch

Members don't see this ad.

you got an interview invite from one of the top medical schools in the country and you still haven't turned in your secondary???? it's called rolling admissions! turn it in asap and pray that they'll let you interview, and that they haven't gotten more stingy with acceptances since it's later in the game!!!! not to be harsh, but get a move on!

You might wanna call and find out where they are scheduling for. cause i called back in mid october and didn't get a spot till february. they could be completely booked already. may save you some unnecessary secondary time.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't there a thread that said Vandy interviews are booked solid until March?

Definitely mail that secondary in NOW and see if you can get an interview towards the latter part of the process. From your tone though, it seems like Vandy really isnt your top choice, so I would worry about it too much if you have other schools lined up.

Thanks for the input.

I would think they would still have some interview slots open since they accept secondaries all the way up to Dec. 31. That 2000 word autoiography is what's killing me. Hopefully I'll get it done soon. I think I may just interview regionally if that means an earlier interview date. Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Originally posted by athena21
you got an interview invite from one of the top medical schools in the country and you still haven't turned in your secondary???? it's called rolling admissions! turn it in asap and pray that they'll let you interview, and that they haven't gotten more stingy with acceptances since it's later in the game!!!! not to be harsh, but get a move on!

Yeah, dropped the ball. Get that secondary in ASAP! Don't take the interview for granted, as they might see it as a lack of interest in the school.

Originally posted by CU_buffalo
Hey everyone,

I received an interview request from Vanderbilt in early October. The only stipulation was that I needed to finish the secondary before I contacted them to schedule an interview date. Now, 6 weeks later, I still haven't finished their secondary. I plan to finish it this week before Thanksgiving, but I'm afraid given the lag time, they may have given my interview slot to someone else. Do you know if this sort of thing happens? Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks a bunch

Few things.

1. Vandy is a good school, but it is NOT one of the top in the country (i.e. top 5)

2. Vandy could have EASILY given away your slot to another student who actually took them seriously (schools are touchy like that).

3. What do you do? Well...aside from pray that they haven't given away your spot you could give them a call.

5. WTF is up with you? You want to go to med school yet you don't bother to fill out a secondary for a guaranteed interview? Are you SURE you really want to be a doctor?

schedule interview today (monday), send in your secondary whenever you have time between now and the interview date. i think all u need it to send the info by the time u interview.

1. UCLA2000 thinks it's productive to put down a school based on USNews rankings...should show you the worth of UCLA's response.

Ok let's start again
1. Relax
2. Finish the secondary ASAP and get that interview scheduled with Bonnie
3. Keep in mind that they do not read your secondary until after the interview at Vandy, therefore the interview has nothing to do with your secondary answers, unless it's brought up independently
4. When I went to interview, people were turning in secondaries two minutes before their interviews began, so this stipulation of secondary before interview scheduiling is news to me
5. Good luck!

Originally posted by UCLA2000
Few things.

1. Vandy is a good school, but it is NOT one of the top in the country (i.e. top 5)

2. Vandy could have EASILY given away your slot to another student who actually took them seriously (schools are touchy like that).

3. What do you do? Well...aside from pray that they haven't given away your spot you could give them a call.

5. WTF is up with you? You want to go to med school yet you don't bother to fill out a secondary for a guaranteed interview? Are you SURE you really want to be a doctor?

wow, what a tool thou art.

btw, it's a blasphemous sin to call vandy one of the top schools in the country. It shouldnt even be top 25, IMHO. But that's a different story..

2 questions
To whom are you directing your post?
Can you explain further (in terms of Vandy not being a good school)?

just curious
Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
wow, what a tool thou art.

btw, it's a blasphemous sin to call vandy one of the top schools in the country. It shouldnt even be top 25, IMHO. But that's a different story..

i can feel the heat of the flames approaching

jesse6.gif

Originally posted by chloe5
2 questions
To whom are you directing your post?
Can you explain further (in terms of Vandy not being a good school)?

just curious

@ buffalo for dragging his feet

I never said vandy wasnt a good school, it's just not a top one, for many reasons. Nearly every US school is good, but some are better than others.

I never said vandy wasnt a good school, it's just not a top one, for many reasons. Nearly every US school is good, but some are better than others. [/B]

Well, that's not much of an explanation. So much for logical reasoning. Thanks for responding, I guess.

I'm still don't get this whole "top school" thing, except that I know that there are some obnoxious, insecure SDNers who feel compelled to show off their "top-5 " acceptances!
Whatever people!!

Well, that's not much of an explanation. So much for logical reasoning. Thanks for responding, I guess.

I'm still don't get this whole "top school" thing, except that I know that there are some obnoxious, insecure SDNers who feel compelled to show off their "top-5 " acceptances!
Whatever people!!

if anyone is insecure, it's you implying that vandy is a truly top school, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously illogical. I don't feel the need to give my reasons, but I sure can give my conclusions. Take them or leave them, it's your choice.

:laugh:

As I said before...whatever people. I wasn't implying anything about Vandy being or not being a top school. I was just wondering why you have such a problem with the school. Obviously, you have serious issues in general. I already have two degrees from the MA school that is often ranked #1 in USNews University listings, so don't tell me about why and how rankings are so important. I certainly don't think they are worth too much, but I guess that's my opinion.

if anyone is insecure, it's you implying that vandy is a truly top school, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is obviously illogical. I don't feel the need to give my reasons, but I sure can give my conclusions. Take them or leave them, it's your choice.

Oh yeah...
And I think that Vanderbilt is the "Harvard of the South!"

But I guess that comment belongs in another thread.
:hardy:

:laugh:

As I said before...whatever people. I wasn't implying anything about Vandy being or not being a top school. I was just wondering why you have such a problem with the school. Obviously, you have serious issues in general. I already have two degrees from the MA school that is often ranked #1 in USNews University listings, so don't tell me about why and how rankings are so important. I certainly don't think they are worth too much, but I guess that's my opinion.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh yeah...
And I think that Vanderbilt is the "Harvard of the South!"

But I guess that comment belongs in another thread.
:hardy:

Ummm....yeah...no. Duke is the Harvard of the South.