Possible pre med requirements entirely online!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole825

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Will you please post this to the Rumor mill. I think many many students like myself are looking for this information. I'm a student at the college and I am trying to get them to offer more courses. So if people will ask for it we can get the classes. CCCOnline may be interested in having the following classes online:

College Physics
Organic Chemistry
General Biology
Calculus

They already have:
Chemistry (1 year)
Physics (first semster)
(both with labs!)

If enough students show interest they may be able to offer them all. Which
means we can fulfill all of the basic requirements for medical school
online! Not many schools have fully accredited programs for these science
classes (you can choose which community college you want your classes to be
administered through. If you are interested please take the time to call
Randy Macy or email him. He's one of the directors of CCCOnline www.ccconline.org. I have taken a couple of classes with them. The price
is great. You can defer payment (1/3) and it shows up on your transcript
as a normal grade. So please take the time to contact Randy at
1-800-801-5040. Or email him at [email protected].

Thanks,

Nicole

------------------
Nicole
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

And do they do laboratories online too?

The science courses, WITH LABOARATORY, you have to take are those required by majors in their respective departments.

Out west, there is more of a tendency than in the east to accept some community college work, but students are then expected to take electives in biology and chemistry at bachelor's degree granting institutions.

If you already have a bachelor's degree in some non-science major, taking all the required science courses at a CC is somewhat of a risk.

Moreover, though it is often denied, of course medical schools have an idea of which are the stronger institutions and evaluate grades accordingly. Since virtually all entrants to medical school do not come from CCs without further or previous work at BA/BS degree granting institutions, then, by comparison, what do A grades from only a CC mean?

The link you've provided (http://www.ccconline.org) shows us lovely homes for rent in Colorado. Is this a "perk" of the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried the web site address out of curiosity and it worked for me - I got Colorado Community Colleges.

Originally posted by debsch:
I tried the web site address out of curiosity and it worked for me - I got Colorado Community Colleges.

I get that too when I type it in by hand but if I use her link above it sends me to some pretty Breckenridge pictures!

At any rate, I agree with Gower. Medicine is very traditional and I fear that ONLINE classes at a CC will just be seen as "too different". Medical school AdComs like to be able to compare students - granted that's what the MCAT is supposed to be for, but they also like to compare gpas. University pre-reqs are preferred over CC because of the belief (warranted or not) that the competition at CCs is not on par with 4 year degree granting institutions.

This may be the wave of the future and frankly I would have enjoyed being able to attend classes in my flannel jammies (although shorts and a sweatshirt wasn't too bad!) I fear it will be awhile before it will be accepted in the medical community. IMHO, you should leave any on-line courses for non pre-med reqs.

[This message has been edited by kimberlicox (edited 01-18-2001).]

Yes, these classes include the lab! Please call Randy if you are even vaguely interested!

I see what you mean about the link. If you just type in the url it will take you there. I think that slash is conflicting with another website. Strange!

Remember to contact Randy Macy so he can log the interest in the class.

Thanks,

Nicole

I just want to reiterate Gower's points: This is NOT A GOOD IDEA if you want to be a competitive applicant. Schools aren't stupid, they know where you got your grade and what it means. And online courses simply aren't impressive to an adcom.

I would like to address a few things. First, these classes are just the same as regular classes. You do work online and they have special materials you order for the lab portions. In some ways it may be better because the materials come with extensive CD's etc. It's up to you how much you study and learn. In the end this will show on your MCAT exam anyway.

These classes are ideal for working people like myself. I work during the day. 99% of the science classes at the university and community colleges in my area are also during the day. I'm sorry there is no way I can take off 4 semester to meet these requirement. It is a time restriction.

As far as the admissions committee goes I think that any school I would be willing to attend should understand the method in which I took the classes. My MCAT scores should show my knowledge. It is my hope that Medical Schools would be willing to accept advance technology such as this. I know Medical Schools tend to be old school. But I plan on attending a school that is more advanced technology wise.

As far as the degree itself goes. Most schools only require 90 credit hours. Lots of applicants have degrees in other areas, in fact medical schools encourage majors in all areas. The sciences and MCAT scores/grades is what shows if you can handle the sciences.

Nicole

You explain nicely, but at first blush, I'm afraid it just doesn't look as competitive as the thousands of others with similar grades and courses done not online nor at a CC. This isn't me personally, it's how adcoms do their stuff. I just think folks need to realize some of this before jumping in -- if you want to do this, and have (a) specific school(s) in mind, talk to someone in their admissions office about your plans and see what they have to say. Ask them to be very honest. Some may not care; most will (but may not tell you upfront; apps and secondaries are major money makers for popular schools).

Just to bring some facts to the conversation and end with the "I thinks and the I hopes" . I know for a fact , that three schools in which I am interested advised strongly against: taking ANY course via online , correspondece , or the like if they were to be used to apply to their schools . I also was tempted with the appearant ease of taking classes in this fashion , nevertheless , after doing my research I learned that I was on my way to a tremendous academic backfire . Put in other words , they do not like them! . This is the case , at least with the schools I contacted . Do your own research before you make a potential mistake .

Personally , I do regret that this is the situation . I , myself , would have preferred the option of taking my courses non-traditionally and let the MCAT reiterate my capacity . However , I also see the point of view of "adcoms" . These new technology is something they are not prepared to assess . They are not ready to determine if you can handle medical school material with courses taken in this fashion . One thing is to take the MCAT do well and therefore demonstrate mastering of the subjects (1) . Another different thing is to demonstrate the persistence and dedication of semesters and semesters of a number of credits day after day after day , which "adcoms" use to tell if you will be able to do something similar for at least four years at their schools . Hope this makes it a bit more clear! .

smile.gif

(1)I do not endorse , justifiably or not , the idea that an MCAT score demonstrates or fails to , the mastery of any of the subjects this test is involved with . BTW I do very well in sample MCATs much above average - my stand on the MCAT is therefore not derived from an inability to perform well in it .

[This message has been edited by doctorperez (edited 01-18-2001).]

Originally posted by doctorperez:
... However , I also see the point of view of "adcoms" . These new technology is something they are not prepared to assess . They are not ready to determine if you can handle medical school material with courses taken in this fashion . (edited 01-18-2001).]

Excellent points, my colleague. In my ol' psychology days, we used to call this "state dependent learning". Ad Coms want to know that you can do well in an environment which is similar to the one they provide - that is, for most schools, an old fashioned didactic curriculum. Bums on seats if you will (regardless of the fact that it is a time honored medical student tradition to skip lectures).

In addition, while your future MCAT score may certainly help your application, fact is that many schools give different weights to WHERE and HOW your courses were taken in deciding on the merit of your application. You cannot rely on the MCAT to be your sole calling card in the application process.

Please take Docperez's advice and ASK some AdComs at schools at which you might be interested. Don't just ask an administrative person whether you'll be competitive (you'll likely get the "we evaluate everyone equally" song and dance) - set an appointment with a medical school admissions personnel and see what their take is on this. They ARE human and they DO realize that some of us have to work to put ourselves through school and can't take time off during the day for classes (so goes the argument for many taking classes at CCs which do offer night courses). Maybe they have some advice for you.

Don't take our words for it - go straight to the horses's mouth.

Best of luck to you.

[This message has been edited by kimberlicox (edited 01-18-2001).]

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and this isn't for everyone. But for those who are interested please contact the school. I may take upper division classes in chemistry (Physical etc.) which don't have 3 hour lab sections in order to show that I have the capability to handle medical school. In fact any admissions department would be able to see this based on my current course load and the fact that I work. I am a non-traditional student. And not everyone will understand or accept that. If they aren't then maybe it isn't best for me to go there. But for those of us people who have families to support and work, please consider these options. All of the community colleges connected with ccconline have counselors who would be happy to help you with this.

Nicole