Possible PT to PA transition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kicensi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was talking to my parents about the outlook for PT( I am pre-PT right now)... They personally felt that perhaps I might be bored with PT or not intellectually challenged if I do PT and that PT is not that secure of a field as say a physician in terms of treatment in later years. They felt that the only plus is that it seems that most PTs weren't extremely stressed and seemed content in their field. I'm not sure whether to agree with them or not for any of these accounts simply because I haven't experienced either field in depth enough to gather such an opinion. However, would it be plausible for a practising PT to go back to school to become a PA? Has this been done before? Is such a transition even practical?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I could only find physical therapist assistants and not physical therapists (DPT), however? Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough...
You should shadow PT and PA so you can have first hand account of what they do... You might also want to ask these PTA why they went to PA school instead of DPT...

Reactions: 1 user
So I was talking to my parents about the outlook for PT( I am pre-PT right now)... They personally felt that perhaps I might be bored with PT or not intellectually challenged if I do PT and that PT is not that secure of a field as say a physician in terms of treatment in later years. They felt that the only plus is that it seems that most PTs weren't extremely stressed and seemed content in their field. I'm not sure whether to agree with them or not for any of these accounts simply because I haven't experienced either field in depth enough to gather such an opinion. However, would it be plausible for a practising PT to go back to school to become a PA? Has this been done before? Is such a transition even practical?

It's certainly plausible. There are a lot of older PA students that had different careers before deciding to go to PA school. There's an attending physician in this thread that was a PT before going to med school http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/physical-therapist-to-md.713303/

I agree with W19, you should shadow both before making a decision so you don't have to worry about making the switch.

Thanks. I could only find physical therapist assistants and not physical therapists (DPT), however? Or maybe I'm not looking hard enough...
there are several DPT to PA folks over there. post a thread called "DPT to PA ? "or something and they will respond.