Possible Reapplicant, Should I retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMBLBM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For this cycle, I was offered 8 interviews. I have 2 rejections and 6 waitlists so far.

My MCAT score is 32, two 12 on science sections and 8 on verbal.

Should I retake the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

mcatbooks.jpg

JK.
Seriously, I'm against retaking when you have 30+ and you can't guarantee you will make a significant increase in your score.

EDIT: You said you have 8 IIs. At least 8 schools are willing to overlook your 8 on VR and accept you if other conditions are met. Having said this, I am more convinced that I am against retaking the MCAT in your case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would not retake a 32 even with an 8. You pulled 8 interviews so I don't think your MCAT score is the issue that needs fixing. Your interviewing skills may likely be the problem and I say that respectfully. There could be other factors to consider as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For this cycle, I was offered 8 interviews. I have 2 rejections and 6 waitlists so far.

My MCAT score is 32, two 12 on science sections and 8 on verbal.

Should I retake the MCAT?
We aren't talking one or two interviews here, but eight! You don't get 8 interviews when people are concerned by your MCAT. Something else in your application or your interview skills are negatively impacting your results. Some schools may send interview invites when the time consuming parts of your app haven't yet been reviewed (PS, LORs, etc.), but there's no way your MCAT was accidentally overlooked in that decision.

I'd say the risk-reward favors improving other areas of app, like essay, leadership, ECs.

Wait for May 15. You'll probably get in with 6 WL.

If you got 8 interviews but no acceptances, chances are there's a lot of areas you could focus on within the time you would use to re-take an MCAT (and potentially not even improve significantly). Definitely brush up on your interview skills and if this cycle ends without an acceptance, call up the schools that WL/rejected you for specific feedback :>

Also, if you've been busy and the WL schools accept updates, try sending them one. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
+1 on not retaking the MCAT. I had a similar score and was not accepted the first time around. I reapplied the next year after gaining more clinical experiences (and continued trend of good grades) and was accepted to my top choice.

If/when you reapply, just make sure you have addressed any weaknesses (lack of experiences, interview strategies, etc.)