Possible Reapplication. Need advice, 514MCAT, 3.45 c and sgpa!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NicMouse64

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My MCAT is a balanced 514 (129/128/128/129). Also got a supposedly "great" LOR from my PI, should I submit that to the schools that I haven't heard from? Thanks! Also have heard nothing from UMN which is my state school. I find that strange as it seems like the best fit for my situation, but who knows. Any advice?

One more LOR isn't going to do anything for you app.

If DO proves to be a bust, suggest doing a DIY post-bac or SMP.

One more LOR isn't going to do anything for you app.

If DO proves to be a bust, suggest doing a DIY post-bac or SMP.
Do you think I will have issues with DO if I apply broadly?

Members don't see this ad :)
My MCAT is a balanced 514 (129/128/128/129). My Cgpa/sgpa is around a 3.4, this is my biggest weakness. I am a bioengineer, so this definitely contributed to my low GPA. I have 4 publications in high impact journals, have clinical volunteering in a nursing home (200 hours), nonclinical volunteering (STEM outreach, 500 hours), have shadowed family practice physicians (50 hours), and an orthopedic surgeon and EM doctor for 20 hours each. I also was on the exec board for an academic fraternity. I would like to go MD but will go DO if necessary.

So far in the cycle I have received one II, been put in an "active pool", and am currently working at the NIH in the IRTA program. I am preparing for a possible reapplication. I am starting to work at a hospital as a patient care advocate and will be working with hispanic populations and using my spanish. Is there anything else anyone could recommend for a possible reapplication? I am waiting on D.O. until next cycle as I would like to continue doing research. Also got a supposedly "great" LOR from my PI, should I submit that to the schools that I haven't heard from? Thanks! Also have heard nothing from UMN which is my state school. I find that strange as it seems like the best fit for my situation, but who knows. Any advice?

You might want to take a few FAES courses if your PI pays for it. I took ~12 credits over two years and managed to bump my GPA up a little bit.

You might want to take a few FAES courses if your PI pays for it. I took ~12 credits over two years and managed to bump my GPA up a little bit.
thanks for the advice, actually got a couple more II that rolled around. Also got some positive news from Carle, so we will see. If I have to reapply I think I should be OK for D.O. I'm trying to get a spanish interpreter training done so I don't think I'll have time for FAES.

Your stats are fine.

I don't think your GPA is necessarily holding you back from getting interviews.

Statement of purpose is something to look into maybe. They do read those I found out :)

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are fine.

I don't think your GPA is necessarily holding you back from getting interviews.

Statement of purpose is something to look into maybe. They do read those I found out :)
Do you mean Personal Statement? I got mine read over, but only by family members in medical school. If I have to reapply it will be quite different I imagine. I also have good NIH resources to proofread so will use that this time around.

Did your fans course go under your post-pac year or were they classified as graduate? I'm taking Biochem 1 for reference. thanks!

My MCAT is a balanced 514 (129/128/128/129). My Cgpa/sgpa is around a 3.4, this is my biggest weakness. I am a bioengineer, so this definitely contributed to my low GPA. I have 4 publications in high impact journals, have clinical volunteering in a nursing home (200 hours), nonclinical volunteering (STEM outreach, 500 hours), have shadowed family practice physicians (50 hours), and an orthopedic surgeon and EM doctor for 20 hours each. I also was on the exec board for an academic fraternity. I would like to go MD but will go DO if necessary.

So far in the cycle I have received one II, been put in an "active pool", and am currently working at the NIH in the IRTA program. I am preparing for a possible reapplication. I am starting to work at a hospital as a patient care advocate and will be working with hispanic populations and using my spanish. Is there anything else anyone could recommend for a possible reapplication? I am waiting on D.O. until next cycle as I would like to continue doing research. Also got a supposedly "great" LOR from my PI, should I submit that to the schools that I haven't heard from? Thanks! Also have heard nothing from UMN which is my state school. I find that strange as it seems like the best fit for my situation, but who knows. Any advice?
I hope all went well. Where did you become health advocate? I am also bilingual and want to volunteer using my spanish skills. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.