Possible to convince school to waitlist you instead of reject?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blake1e

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yay or nay?

Ive called the school once after the rejection email and they still for some reason made note that I called. Making a note signifies that the applicant is very interested in the school and that is a plus that would help a waitlisted applicant inc chances of acceptance. But given my rejection status I thought it was pointless.. This gave me the thought that what if I called like once a week and talked to them in person, wouldnt that help my app even a little. And depending on the tone they take with my app. maybe even ask to be put on the waitlist .

Members don't see this ad.

Yay or nay?

Ive called the school once after the rejection email and they still for some reason made note that I called. Making a note signifies that the applicant is very interested in the school and that is a plus that would help a waitlisted applicant inc chances of acceptance. But given my rejection status I thought it was pointless.. This gave me the thought that what if I called like once a week and talked to them in person, wouldnt that help my app even a little. And depending on the tone they take with my app. maybe even ask to be put on the waitlist .

I doubt there is anything you can do..

Its possible. Anythings possible. Persistence does pay off. With that said, it is possible to have a rejection flipped. Rare, albeit.

(Insert Dumb and Dumber: "So your saying there's a chance?")

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
By looking through previous threads, I noticed some schools do accept people even after they were "rejected" (somewhere on some thread mentioned NYU and temple). Those are the exception though :-/ It wouldn't hurt to call and see what your application was "lacking" and they may make a note you called..

Its possible. Anythings possible. Persistence does pay off. With that said, it is possible to have a rejection flipped. Rare, albeit.

(Insert Dumb and Dumber: "So your saying there's a chance?")

I liked how you purposefully misspelled "you're" in that quote to portray an accurate representation of Dumb and Dumber.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess it wouldn't hurt to call and express your interest in the school. I'm not sure if I'd personally have the nerve to ask if I could be placed on a waitlist after I was already rejected, but to each their own. I got a rejection that really hurt, after applying 3 cycles and improving my app each time. I guess my hard work still wasn't enough for them. I will say this was my worst interview (still not bad) and I think it's the way they set up the environment of it all that made me feel inferior and that probably showed during the interview. Regardless, I highly doubt they'd change their mind if I simply called a few times. But hey, if you have the time and it truly does mean that much to you.. give it a shot, the worst that can happen is they'll say no again for this cycle! :luck:

tumblr_mbp3rpbQWD1qexr74o2_r1_250.gif

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

If a rejection doesn't communicate a "no". What does a school have to do to get the message across? Is a rejection a kinda, sort of, maybe version of a no?

What would you write in the email? "Dear [school], you done fugged up bruh. You were supposed to put me in the waitlist, not reject."

But what others have said about "it doesn't hurt to try" might work (1 in a million) but probably not. They can't double reject you. But if this is becoming a trend. At some point. They're going to be annoyed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Why just settle for having your status changed from rejected to waitlist? Why not go for the whole enchilada?

Sounds kinda like getting dumped after a first date and trying to beg him/her to take you back. Especially when they don't know you. Kind of desperate to me. And I am very desperate. I'll start calling tomorrow.

If a phone call doesn't do it, i would email them a naked pic. Always worked for me, when trying to get off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
tumblr_mbp3rpbQWD1qexr74o2_r1_250.gif

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

If a rejection doesn't communicate a "no". What does a school have to do to get the message across? Is a rejection a kinda, sort of, maybe version of a no?

What would you write in the email? "Dear [school], you done fugged up bruh. You were supposed to put me in the waitlist, not reject."

But what others have said about "it doesn't hurt to try" might work (1 in a million) but probably not. They can't double reject you. But if this is becoming a trend. At some point. They're going to be annoyed.

I won't be surprise since there is such thing as 'high hold' on wait list. Double rejection might be needed. Just to confirm the rejection via split decision!! ;) wasn't a fluke.