Possible to improve verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really possible to increase your verbal section score, BESIDES just being able to have better time management skills? Like...ability to correctly answer the questions themselves? I am timing myself on some practice passages and i'm only scoring like a 70-75 % on them. Will it really be possible to increase that? and if so, HOW??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely, my first diagnostic score was a 7-8, and my actual was an 11. Just be sure to take plenty of practice sections and really work on your note taking strategy (granted this may be different from mine seeing as the test is now computer-based). Also, it may be helpful to practice analyzing journal papers that you have to read for class/on your own free time.

Hope this helps.

Having taken the old paper-based MCAT, and now faced with the need to take the CBT version, I have come to realize that the margin of error is MUCH smaller now. Getting past 10 is quite painful. Just +/- one point can make a difference in your score.

I believe to get a 12 you have to get 36/40 right. If you're 1 point below you get an 11, and if you're 1 point above then you get a 13. I'll be ecstatic to get the same score I got last time (10), but it will certainly be a challenge with CBT!

Therefore I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on how to deal with the CB version of the VR? I'm mainly focusing on accuracy rather than timing. I think my timing is OK for now, but man some of those questions really roughen you up;).

Yes, it's possible. I went from a 7 to a 10-11 on the most recent practice tests. I like the EK strategy for verbal where you actively read the passage and go right to the questions b/c you keep your focus. Do 1-3 passages a day or every other day and give yourself 8 minutes for each. By doing this, I have increased my score, my reading speed, and find I have time left over during an actual FL Verbal section - about 10-15 min.