Possible to keep state of residence?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

not respect

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so this is a complicated residence situation:

I lived in IL for a while (my high school, drivers license, etc are all IL), but my mom recently moved to OH (she claims me as a dependent). But now I really live in NY, and go to school in NC. Is it possible for me to keep my IL residency somehow in applying for med school? If not, then can I choose between OH and NY or am I stuck with one of them?

Members don't see this ad.

I lived in IL for a while (my high school, drivers license, etc are all IL), but my mom recently moved to OH (she claims me as a dependent). But now I really live in NY, and go to school in NC. Is it possible for me to keep my IL residency somehow in applying for med school? If not, then can I choose between OH and NY or am I stuck with one of them?

Since you're a dependent, you're probably OH, if that is where mom files. Do you file taxes?

Ohio is one of the best states for med school application residency status as they have so many state schools. In Illinois there are only two, and one gives preference to those who live in the southern half of the state. If I were you I'd cement the Ohio residency by registering to vote, getting a new drivers license, and getting license plates, if you have a car. Also pay Ohio state taxes if you work at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not entirely certain, but I think this is a case in which you can actually claim dual residencies.

Different states maintain different standards with regards to who they will consider in-state, but a commonality most of them share is that the parent/guardian's status trumps that of the student. That is to say, if you were to move to a state for educational purposes you'd branded out of state, but if your parent were to move there, you'd automatically be considered in-state when you apply for in-state residence.

If you have the paperwork for New York, and your mom's fulfilled the requirements for Ohio, I don't see why you shouldn't be granted IS status in both states. Pretty sure you're boned for Illinois though, considering most states require a recent paper trail (6-12 months of utility bills, tax info, DL, etc...)

I'm not entirely certain, but I think this is a case in which you can actually claim dual residencies.

Different states maintain different standards with regards to who they will consider in-state, but a commonality most of them share is that the parent/guardian's status trumps that of the student. That is to say, if you were to move to a state for educational purposes you'd branded out of state, but if your parent were to move there, you'd automatically be considered in-state when you apply for in-state residence.

If you have the paperwork for New York, and your mom's fulfilled the requirements for Ohio, I don't see why you shouldn't be granted IS status in both states. Pretty sure you're boned for Illinois though, considering most states require a recent paper trail (6-12 months of utility bills, tax info, DL, etc...)

Well I don't need too many safeties I hope, but if I apply to one I'd rather have it by my friends in IL ;) I guess that's kind of shallow but I think it would make med school a lot more fun. I guess since that's not really an option, I'll just figure out which residence is easier to prove and stick with it.

I have strong ties to IL and CO, and have researched this thoroughly.

The primary difference relates to public schools, as the in-state and out-of-state tuition is radically different.

For private schools, a number of IL schools recommended that I write a letter/e-mail that would be added to my file specifying my ties to the state. I was told that this would hold some weight for the many private schools that accept a much higher percent of instate versus OOS candidates.

Public schools have fairly well detailed rules, UIC and SIU have these posted online, and they can be found with a bit of digging. The long and short is that a person must be able to prove they've lived in the state recently for a certain time period (around a year I believe) for reasons not related to education. My roughly 30 years in IL do not establish current residency, as I've lived out of state for a number of years.

Both IL and CO look for a number of factors when considering state of residence, such as state one files taxes in, where one's car is registered, where one has registered to vote, where the person works, utility bills, owning or renting a house/apt in that state. I'd look at your specific state, typically attending college in a state as a dependant (parent/s claim you for tax purposes) will cause you to be considered a resident of your parents' state of residence, not the state in which you're attending college.

IL had a cool exception such that, If I was accepted after applying as an OOS resident, I would immediately convert to instate (and pay instate tuition rates) because my parents live in IL. Maybe other states have similar rules?

Ok so this is a complicated residence situation:

Not enough info to say definitively, but it sounds like your strongest claim is for Ohio residency, and of the states you mention, it is easily the best one for increased chances...however, if you really want to claim IL, you probably could do that if you keep your DL current there...the best bet is to ask someone in admissions at an IL med school for guidance...