shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2004
The Sunny South
Admittedly, with this being my first semester at a school that curves its science classes, I know nothing about curves. If out of 1200 students the class average is in the mid 60's, is it possible to predict where a A will fall?

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
it depends on the grading method.

About the Ads

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes,

Take the function f(x)=
and normalize. Normalize so that the average occurs at the maximum and the top %10 recieve A's. It should be 88%+

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status
Attending Physician
It seems when curving profs like to aim for an average of 70%. But it really comes down to the prof and how he feels like curving, so you can't really predict.

Premed Worrier

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
North Carolina
Status
Medical Student
Admittedly, with this being my first semester at a school that curves its science classes, I know nothing about curves. If out of 1200 students the class average is in the mid 60's, is it possible to predict where a A will fall?
Damn, I thought my classes of over a hundred were big...1200?

StPlayrXtreme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2008
Status
It depends on the standard deviation...so really no way to tell unless they tell you the SD. And even then it's up for the professor to set the letter grade at the mean.

Some professors "aim" for a certain mean grade...others just take care of it in the end.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes,

Take the function f(x)=
and normalize. Normalize so that the average occurs at the maximum and the top %10 recieve A's. It should be 88%+
Hey, now all you have to do is teach just about everyone on this forum how to normalize functions, and you've answered the question. :p

chemnerd89

In it for the lulz
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hey, now all you have to do is teach just about everyone on this forum how to normalize functions, and you've answered the question. :p
I normalize wave functions with the best of them. ;)

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
85-90 will be the bottom or an A-, depending on the grading system. Then again, I once had a class where an A+ was a 90, so it just depends.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol. Thanks for posting that. I was starting to feel stupid there for a minute.
I figured that might be a common thought. :laugh: Not everyone has had upper-level math courses.

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
85-90 will be the bottom or an A-, depending on the grading system. Then again, I once had a class where an A+ was a 90, so it just depends.
Yeah, depends on how tightly packed in everyone is (see: standard deviation). If 60% of the class is between 50-70, then don't be surprised if an 80 (or even lower) would be an A. If it's more spread out (i.e. 40-80) then an A will be higher.

And I thought my 500 person Chem class was big...

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I figured that might be a common thought. :laugh: Not everyone has had upper-level math courses.
ahhhh, how refreshing...Probabilty and Statistics, the two most important/applicable topics of mathematics....how can me live without them.

silverlining1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2006
California
Status
Medical Student
I'll chime in with "it depends". I had classes where the mean was curved to a B- and classes where it was curved to a B+. So... we don't have an answer for you.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
You obviously don't need to know how to normalize functions to get into medical school. I never took stats.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Mid 60s for a gen chem class....id say it should probably be rougly a 10-12 pt scale.

gridiron227

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
My quick and dirty method:

Assuming the prof curves to a B (not always the case, of course, depending on how satisfied he is with the average), one standard deviation above the mean will probably be pretty close to the B+/A- cutoff. Judge based on that where the rest of the scale will fall... or just ask your TA to give you some better grading guidelines.

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You should just ask the TA... I'm sure they'll have at least some idea of how the prof likes to grade the class

About the Ads