Possible to Submit ERAS before CK Score comes back on 9/6?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aurum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ERAS opens up 9/6 at 0900 and my Step 2 CK scores are supposed to come back the same day (likely mid day if it's similar to Step 1 reporting). Ideally, I'd like to submit my ERAS prior to my CK scores being available so that I can see the score and release it or not depending on how I did.

Is there any chance I can submit my ERAS before the CK scores come back and, if so, how? Do I authorize the release of my USMLE scores now and just hit submit at 0900, or is there something different that needs to be done?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you worried that you failed CK?

Pretty sure I did not fail. Have a high Step 1 score, want to possibly hold back the CK score in case I did worse.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure I did not fail. Have a high Step 1 score, want to possibly hold back the CK score in case I did worse.
I guess you cannot hold back scores?
You've already authorized release of USMLE scores (that's how programs see your Step 1). When new scores come in, it's automatically sent to programs. I think you can't release only part of your scores.

I guess you cannot hold back scores?
You've already authorized release of USMLE scores (that's how programs see your Step 1). When new scores come in, it's automatically sent to programs. I think you can't release only part of your scores.

Haven't authorized any score release so far. My question is if I authorized the release now and submitted at 0900 on 9/6, will that report include my Step 1 score only or will it also include the Step 2 score that will be posted later the same day?

When you request your scores be released, there often is a short delay between the time you request them, and when they actually are released. Whether or not your S2 score will be included is anyone's guess. If you want to try to play this game, then apply as early in the day as you can. You will be able to tell, afterwards, whether you were "successful" or not -- your MyERAS application page will show you exactly which scores were sent.

Nothing happens until your pay your fees, and I don't believe you can do that until Sept 6th.

This is not correct. There is no automatic release of any scores coming *after* you submit your application; you have to re-release them to make them available to programs (though you don't have to pay any extra for that). If you're not happy with your Step 2 results and they come *after* residency application submission, you can choose to not release them until later in the interview season, so they won't negatively affect you chances for interviews. You'll have to release them eventually though because most programs require evidence of passed Step 1 and 2 by ranking submission.

OP's issue/question is, the earliest date to submit residency application is the same day his/her step 2 CK score comes out, though a couple of hours earlier. This is different from what you stated.

Reactions: 2 users
ERAS opens up 9/6 at 0900 and my Step 2 CK scores are supposed to come back the same day (likely mid day if it's similar to Step 1 reporting). Ideally, I'd like to submit my ERAS prior to my CK scores being available so that I can see the score and release it or not depending on how I did.

Is there any chance I can submit my ERAS before the CK scores come back and, if so, how? Do I authorize the release of my USMLE scores now and just hit submit at 0900, or is there something different that needs to be done?

Did this work?? My score is likely to be released on 9/13 and I am wondering how late I can submit my application

Did this work?? My score is likely to be released on 9/13 and I am wondering how late I can submit my application

It didn't work haha but that's because it takes 1-2 business days for the score reports to be released to the programs you're applying to.

If you apply within the next day or two I'm sure it will work for you.

I tried to play this game, and it didn't work-- I actually could see that ERAS had access to my Step 2 score before I could see me Step 2 score, which was slightly nervewracking. Fortunately I went up a bit from Step 1 so it was okay.

This would work if you authorize the release now but don't have your Step 2 back yet at all.

In kind of a similar situation... how, if at all, should I indicate in the application that the scores will be coming later, or will programs see CK missing from the transcript and just assume it's coming at some point?

There's no way to tell us when your CK score is coming. Programs that require it for an interview offer will simply not consider you until it is available. Those that require it for ranking will review your application and then re-evaluate after it's reported. Those that don't require it at all won't care.

I tried to play this game, and it didn't work-- I actually could see that ERAS had access to my Step 2 score before I could see me Step 2 score, which was slightly nervewracking. Fortunately I went up a bit from Step 1 so it was okay.

This would work if you authorize the release now but don't have your Step 2 back yet at all.

Update: I just submitted ERAS (likely CK score release on 9/13). Transmission of USMLE score showed "successful" within 5 minutes, with step 1 and CS only.
Thanks for your help, I hope my CK score isn't horrible :)

Update: I just submitted ERAS (likely CK score release on 9/13). Transmission of USMLE score showed "successful" within 5 minutes, with step 1 and CS only.
Thanks for your help, I hope my CK score isn't horrible :)

Just out of curiosity, now that ERAS is truly open... What ended up getting transmitted to programs?