moto_za

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
Status
Is it possible to work 20 hrs a week in med school and have enough time to study?

plauto

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
not really. Maybe it is if you're gifted and don't care about grades/research.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is it possible to work 20 hrs a week in med school and have enough time to study?
yes, not recommended....I know 2 people who worked that much or more.

Both did fine.

Personally, I plan to keep it between 10-15.

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Depends on the student.

I would suggest giving medical school a shot for a month or two before you decide to devote 20 hours/week to something else. By that point, if you feel like you can handle it, then take the leap. It's easier to wait and start a job later than it is to quit in the midst of a stress flare-up.

May 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Always possible, but probably at the expense of your study time, sleep, and other things. If you haven't started med school yet, at least wait for a semester to see if you can handle 20hr/wk work with your school workload. I've seen very few people doing it, and they did fine academically but aren't going to make it into AOA.

Oct 7, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Always possible, but probably at the expense of your study time, sleep, and other things. If you haven't started med school yet, at least wait for a semester to see if you can handle 20hr/wk work with your school workload. I've seen very few people doing it, and they did fine academically but aren't going to make it into AOA.
I agree with this. I worked about 20 hours a week in the first year and a half of school, no big deal at all. After some major life events, I ended up working 40-50 hours a week at 2 jobs during second year, straight up to taking Step 1.

Would I recommend doing anything like that unless absolutely necessary? HECK NO! I struggled with those first two years because I just had no time or energy whatsoever to read or study. Just showed up for exams and passed. I had to work to pay bills, so it wasn't something I really "chose" to do. Thankfully I was able to cut down to 20 hrs or less for third year, quit working 4th year, and was able to get almost all honors and I matched into a moderately competitive specialty at the program of my choice.

It can be done, but you won't be AOA, top of the class, able to use what little time you have to socialize with classmates, none of that. I would just find your threshold for working outside school and weigh that against how much you are willing to (or have to) sacrifice academically.

Good luck with school!

hannahfox

Removed
Feb 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
it is possible but not really recommended.

There is a physician (David Bellamy) in Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic who worked as a police officer as an undergrad, yet strikingly he also took on part time work (mostly first 2 years (I think he quit over the last two)) as a police officer while attending UF med. He is a swat trainer/reserve SWATofficer right now also.

Dr. Bellamy is a orthopedic surgeon and SWAT police officer. It's possible, but like he said [grades can suffer].

jboz

Removed
Mar 21, 2010
Status
it is possible but not really recommended.

There is a physician (David Bellamy) in Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic who worked as a police officer as an undergrad, yet strikingly he also took on part time work (mostly first 2 years (I think he quit over the last two)) as a police officer while attending UF med. He is a swat trainer/reserve SWATofficer right now also.

Dr. Bellamy is a orthopedic surgeon and SWAT police officer. It's possible, but like he said [grades can suffer].
damn, an orhopedic surgeon and SWAT police officer? If that's not the definition of ALPHA, then I don't know what is lol.

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i'm thinking of maybe looking for a job within the school (secretarial work maybe?) or the school's library after I've been in school a few months(assuming i think i can handle it).

I currently work in a small departmental library that has very few patrons coming in each day so I get a lot of study time. I'm hoping to find something like that during med if i can. i'm not looking to make big bucks but maybe just make some mad money/gas money.

Sep 22, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Who keeps moving these posts to the pre-med board? How would pre-meds know if it is possible to work 20 hours per week and do med school studying.

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
My experience so far is "yes", you can. You just need to be structured and efficient so that you're more well-prepared when "cram time" comes prior to big exams. I'd say a smart student who is also motivated and structured with a fairly flexible job could put in a 25 hr work-week. If you're just an "average" student, then you might have trouble doing more than a few hours of tutoring weekly. Some people have to study non-stop in medical school to keep up.

Personally though, I need my R&R time. So, rather than work I try to relax as much as possible. It keeps me happy ^_^

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't know much, but I would think the type of job is very crucial to doing this.

For example, I could probably work 1 or 2 night shifts/week at a movie theater running the projection booth, since it doesn't require much time and I could study while the movies are playing.

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you didn't have a previous job that pays well and you can pick up shifts whenever, it really isn't worth it. The time spent vs. the pay has to be right.

The few people in my class working are a Pharmacist and a couple kids teaching MCAT for Kaplan (who have been doing it for years so zero prep).

They are making enough to put a legit dent in their expenses.

dyeguy21

7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
anyone working as a bartender perchance?

I was hoping to maybe continue this in Med School working some late shifts (the 7-midnight).

Nov 11, 2009
Colorado
Status
Medical Student
If you didn't have a previous job that pays well and you can pick up shifts whenever, it really isn't worth it. The time spent vs. the pay has to be right.

The few people in my class working are a Pharmacist and a couple kids teaching MCAT for Kaplan (who have been doing it for years so zero prep).

They are making enough to put a legit dent in their expenses.

Hey I have this! I'm tempted to keep it...but I want to have time for my wife too :\. But I could bring in like a good amount a month just working a few shifts? And overall I think about 60 percent of the time I am in a one to one where I can study anyways! Hm...

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hey I have this! I'm tempted to keep it...but I want to have time for my wife too :\. But I could bring in like a good amount a month just working a few shifts? And overall I think about 60 percent of the time I am in a one to one where I can study anyways! Hm...
Wife = 2nd job. You won't be working unless you want to ditch your wife all the time. ^_^ Not kidding. Not to metion, you really need to evaluate your abilities first. I am confident that most people couldn't manage to work many hours while going to medical school.

Nov 11, 2009
Colorado
Status
Medical Student
Wife = 2nd job. You won't be working unless you want to ditch your wife all the time. ^_^ Not kidding. Not to metion, you really need to evaluate your abilities first. I am confident that most people couldn't manage to work many hours while going to medical school.
Yeah...You're right I know...I just hate the debt! I'm already way in debt from my undergrad and how stupid I was and I am regretting it! I guess I'll just have to be super strict with my budget....and I guess my wife will be working anyways! haha so that should help a lot! I gotta factor that in

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Yeah...You're right I know...I just hate the debt! I'm already way in debt from my undergrad and how stupid I was and I am regretting it! I guess I'll just have to be super strict with my budget....and I guess my wife will be working anyways! haha so that should help a lot! I gotta factor that in
Yeah, working wife helps. Good luck with the debt issue ^_^

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I would not surrender those valuable hours that could otherwise spent studying for my courses or preparing for Step I. Or sleeping.

I doubt anybody works during their clinical years.