NUKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
I was just checking out mdapplicants.com and noticed someone who got in with a 3.4 GPA and a 19O to Lake Erie COM. I, myself have a 3.76 GPA and a 19O MCAT and am hoping I will have the same fate as this person did. I know the chances are low but I'm setting my sites on University of New England COM. They state on their website that their minimum MCAT is an 18 M. I guess I'm still slightly above the minimum but can you guys suggest anything to improve my chances (without retaking the MCATs). I have lots of good ECs and my letters of recommendation should be outstanding. I am going to apply early and cross my fingers. Any comments would be most appreciated.

Elmer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
NUKid said:
I was just checking out mdapplicants.com and noticed someone who got in with a 3.4 GPA and a 19O to Lake Erie COM. I, myself have a 3.76 GPA and a 19O MCAT and am hoping I will have the same fate as this person did. I know the chances are low but I'm setting my sites on University of New England COM. They state on their website that their minimum MCAT is an 18 M. I guess I'm still slightly above the minimum but can you guys suggest anything to improve my chances (without retaking the MCATs). I have lots of good ECs and my letters of recommendation should be outstanding. I am going to apply early and cross my fingers. Any comments would be most appreciated.

I wouldn't say that it is impossible, but I would start preparing to retake the MCAT.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
People getting in with a 19 is a little bit on the ridiculous side.

You can bash standardized tests all you want, but the USMLE and the COMLEX are standardized. If you can't do well on the MCAT, why would you be able to do well on either of those?

I'm not saying there is no hope, but honestly, a 19 shouldn't be acceptable unless there is an excellent reason...of which, I can think of none.

OP
N

NUKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Buckeye(OH) said:

You can bash standardized tests all you want, but the USMLE and the COMLEX are standardized. If you can't do well on the MCAT, why would you be able to do well on either of those?

I'm not saying there is no hope, but honestly, a 19 shouldn't be acceptable unless there is an excellent reason...of which, I can think of none.

Basically what you're saying is that I should retake it. I know I can do better than a 19...it was just a terrible test day. But I also think that some of these 2.7 or so GPAs shouldn't be acceptable either. Also, why do you think those caribean schools exist: for people who don't do well on the MCAT but can do well in medical school and on the USMLE

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Caribbean schools exist to make money. They are HUGE moneymakers. Caribbean students score WORSE on the USMLE then either mainland trained MD's or DO's, so, that pretty much shoots a hole through that reasoning.

A 2.7 from Johns Hopkins is different from a 2.7 from Podunk Community. You can't put gpas on a level playing field....hence, a standardized test.

Yes, you need to retake it.

hot hot heat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Status
NUKid said:
Basically what you're saying is that I should retake it. I know I can do better than a 19...it was just a terrible test day. But I also think that some of these 2.7 or so GPAs shouldn't be acceptable either. Also, why do you think those caribean schools exist: for people who don't do well on the MCAT but can do well in medical school and on the USMLE

Retake the test. A 19 is insanely low and if it is attributed to a really bad test day that's fine. Just rock it the second time because stuff happens. But don't forget that people with low overall GPAs may have jsut screwed up early on in their academic careers only to show a strong upward trend with their pre reqs. It's akin to you taking the MCATs a second time and doing extremely well.

Besides, the MCATs is a vdery good indicator of how well you will do on your licensing exams and schools know this well. Its in their best interest to get students whom they are confident can pass the appropriate tests the first time.

futuredo32

15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2003
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
Good luck to you. A friend of mine got into MSUCOM with a 21 on the MCAT, which is not that different from a 19 . She is now an MS-2 has honored all but one class, so bad test day or not, I don't think the MCAT is a great predictor of how one will do in med-school or on the boards considering that the majority of exam questions are "board-style" questions. So, getting in to a D.O. school with a 19 or even a 21 is rare, but possible.

Benzo4every1

Wine Ho
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
i know a friend of mine got in with a 23 mcat, but he had good gpa i figure and had good interviews
to a state school.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Although, I'd have to argue, you can't say just because she does well on "board-style" questions that she will do well on the boards.

That'd be like me saying, oh, because I got a 34 on my practice tests that I will get a 34 on the real thing.....I didn't get a 34.

OP
N

NUKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
futuredo32 said:
Good luck to you. A friend of mine got into MSUCOM with a 21 on the MCAT, which is not that different from a 19 . She is now an MS-2 has honored all but one class, so bad test day or not, I don't think the MCAT is a great predictor of how one will do in med-school or on the boards considering that the majority of exam questions are "board-style" questions.

Thanks for the encouragement! Another success story.

futuredo32

15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2003
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
Really though, I would retake the MCAT if I were you. I read your first post rather quickly and thought you had applied this year and were hoping to get in this year. Being that there is a lot of time between now and applications for next year, I would retake it if I were you. It's a horrible test and IMO not a predictor for med-school success, but the ad-coms do look at the scores, so you would only help your chances to get in by retaking it.

JAMMAN

Chief Exceutive Officer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
19O getting into medical school = miracle

an even bigger miracle = that same person getting through in 4 years

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
There have to be some exceptions to the 3.7 gpa and the 30 MCAT. Come on...I mean otherwise you have very little variabiliy; you might as well have clone doctors. Seriously, all kinds of reasons exist for people having lower stats and we are not here to judge them. Let adcoms work through it...obviously they have more information at their disposal. I know that I am trying to recover from a gpa that is crap because I never dreamed of or even wanted to go to med school, but now that I know that is what I want to do, I have gotten nothing but A's for the last 50 some hours. And as for the MCAT, don't forget that the majority of people who are taking it are biology majors, so they have a few more science classes under their belts than some people who take it with only having had the basic pre-med classes. Just a thought.

But, of course, anyone who scores under the mean should without doubt attempt to bring up their score.

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
While not impossible, the odds are against you. Having a 19 is on the low side of the curve. So while you dance and rejoice at every "success" story that you hear, you have to face real probability that the numbers are not in your favor.

Also, if you manage to get an interview,

"So, care to explain the dichotomy between your high GPA and your low MCAT?"

"If you simply had a bad test day, why didn't you retake it in the spring of 2005?"

I dont' believe that low MCAT scores mean you won't be successful in medical school, or will be a horrible doctor. But you are going against thousands of applicants for limited spots. Having lots of EC and outstanding LORs won't make you unique. On SDN, I have yet to hear someone say their LORs weren't outstanding, good, or excellent.

So why gamble and go through the mental stress of applying with a low MCAT score when you can register now, study for the MCAT, and take it in April - and apply in the same application cycle?

jmalik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
Status
a 19? I am sorry, but that is messed up. I am sure you could do better. any person scoring a 19, has to blame it on testing conditions. you are pre-med, and i can believe it. its only your LIFE that is on stake. take the mcat again, get a 30, and you will be allllllll set

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
Retake if only for the fact that if you don't everyone is going to be like why the heck DIDN'T this kid retake? If you get an interview, how are you going to explain that? Take it again. I know people who have taken it 3x.

OP
N

NUKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
group_theory said:
While not impossible, the odds are against you. Having a 19 is on the low side of the curve. So while you dance and rejoice at every "success" story that you hear, you have to face real probability that the numbers are not in your favor.

Also, if you manage to get an interview,

"So, care to explain the dichotomy between your high GPA and your low MCAT?"

"If you simply had a bad test day, why didn't you retake it in the spring of 2005?"

I dont' believe that low MCAT scores mean you won't be successful in medical school, or will be a horrible doctor. But you are going against thousands of applicants for limited spots. Having lots of EC and outstanding LORs won't make you unique. On SDN, I have yet to hear someone say their LORs weren't outstanding, good, or excellent.

So why gamble and go through the mental stress of applying with a low MCAT score when you can register now, study for the MCAT, and take it in April - and apply in the same application cycle?
I'm thinking of retaking it this summer. I think starting now is a little late in the game. I would like to take a course next time...last time I took it I tried to do it all on my own.
Thanks everyone for their comments. I appreciate all insights into my sickly MCAT score. I think, obviously, that retaking is the best option. It's just that I am a hater of the MCAT and don't believe it can predict medical school success in ALL circumstances. But I guess if this is what I want to do with my life I have to bite the bullet and take the stinking thing again.
As for the poster who was citing a good GPA at a podunk school as being worth nothing, well I didn't come from a podunk school but rather a well known private university in New England.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
NUKid said:
As for the poster who was citing a good GPA at a podunk school as being worth nothing, well I didn't come from a podunk school but rather a well known private university in New England.
Yeah see, reading comprehension is key.

I don't recall saying a gpa at a podunk school was worth nothing. But just so you can re-read/carefully analyze what I did say, please refer to the attached:

"A 2.7 from Johns Hopkins is different from a 2.7 from Podunk Community. You can't put gpas on a level playing field....hence, a standardized test."

So, how'd you do in verbal?

OP
N

NUKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Buckeye(OH) said:

I don't recall saying a gpa at a podunk school was worth nothing. But just so you can re-read/carefully analyze what I did say, please refer to the attached:

"A 2.7 from Johns Hopkins is different from a 2.7 from Podunk Community. You can't put gpas on a level playing field....hence, a standardized test."

Sorry, "different". Chill out.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
Beach or Pool, you pick...
Visit site
Status
Regardless...Retake the MCAT. You have something to prove not only to yourself but to the ADCOM. A 19 is well below the 'acceptable standard' for any school. That is a given.

If you really want to be a doc; you can put aside your opinion of "an MCAT not being a good predictor," retake the test, and do MUCH better on it. This is a no-brainer and not something you should have to think about.

Good luck studying.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2004
Status
A 19 is not 'insanely' low. All it would take is someone not preparing adequately, and then having a bad test-taking day.

My bf (bestfriend) is really smart, I always went to her for help with calculus and phsyics in college, and yet she scored a 22 on the MCAT-through not preparing enough and having a bad day. But I am 100% sure she will do fine in medical school. Also, although GPAs do vary widely, even if the school grades easily, a high GPA is indicative of hard work, perserverance and consistency of effort-all of which will help to get you through medical school.

OP-I also agree that you should retake and not rely on getting in with that score. I recommend taking lots of practice tests, especially ones that are similar to the real thing. Then hone in on the areas that you are weak in. Good luck, it really shouldn't be that hard to raise your score by 5 points. :luck:

MsBusscher

10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
Buckeye(OH) said:

So, how'd you do in verbal?[/QUOTE

I really hope you do not plan on treating patients. Your communication skills are lacking on the compassionate side.

It seems to me that you are quite aware of how detrimental your MCAT score will be to earning an acceptance. If you are unable to increase your score I would suggest that you make friends. Meaning, apply to schools that you are able to have an alumni write a letter of recommendation. It works!

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I would re-take MCAT one more time to make your life easier. You might be able to get away with 19, but getting higher scores will open more doors for you.

DO it right

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
Its up to you, but I think retaking the MCAT would be much easier than explaining your low score to a panel of interviewers. Study hardcore, take it again and apply with confidence. I think in general we all think that MCAT is not a good indicator of how well you'll do in med school, same way the SATs weren't a good indicator of success in college. Don't get upset by negative comments that you might hear on this site, its usually from those folks that want to believe their strong MCAT score is a success ticket in med school...so any argument against it, really sets them on fire. Get my logic? Now go study for the MCAT and let it be your full time job for a while. Good luck!!! :thumbup:

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
MsBusscher said:
I really hope you do not plan on treating patients. Your communication skills are lacking on the compassionate side.

Thanks for the authoritative assessment.

I always love when people try to extrapolate a post/retort to one's communication in regards to patients.

Aaron Earles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
Corinth, MS
www.facebook.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It is possible to get accepted with a 19, but it is very difficult. It took me several years to get accepted to med school because of my low mcat scores. A good deal of our exams in med school are "standardized test" format with time limits to help us prepare for the boards. My physiology prof makes his questions in the board format, with "choose the best answer" type of questions.

MCAT scores are not always indicative of success in medical school. There are too many other factors involved. I will admit that some people with lower scores do struggle, but I also see people with 28+ scores struggle.

I would strongly urge you to retake the MCAT to see if you can improve your score. If the remainder of your application is strong, then you still have a chance. If medicine is something you really want to do, then it will work out for you in due time with some effort.

I wish you luck and dont be discouraged if you dont get in on your first attempt. It took me four attempts to get accepted, but the wait was well worth it. Med school is real tough, but it can also be fun if it is really what you want to do for the rest of your life.

iamgoaloriented

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2004
Status
Buckeye(OH) said:

People may think this is insensitive, but its true. Im not saying someone who gets a 19 cant take the test again and do better and get in and be a good doctor, but that is too $hitty of a score to be let into med school. I guess you could have bad day, but if that happens you take the test again and do better. I guess you could have not been prepared, but why the hell didnt you prepare. If you are too lazy to prepare for the MCAT, how are you gonna handle being a med student or a doctor.

And a 19 is crappy. Adding two sections together and getting a 19 aint even impressive (I could take time off during the test to work my lats and shave my ass and still do better than 19), you get that overall and expect to get in? I think standardized tests are stupid. I did very well on the MCAT but in grade school I had trouble with them since I had a short attention span, but over the years I dealt with it and can now do well on them (if you have trouble with tests, you should work at it like I did, you can do it, it just takes time and hard work), but if you cant do better than that on the MCAT its hard to see someone doing well in med school.

wisconsinmilf

Fabuleux destin d'Amélie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2004
blue state
Status
Buckeye(OH) said:

lmfao; thanks.
-WM

Scarletbegonias

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oklahoma
Status
yeah, I would have to agree that the MCAT is not a great predictor of med schoool success (or at least as good as some may think), BUT a 19 score is below average for all of those who take the MCAT (21 is average) and in my opinion not acceptable for admission to med school. I don't know how much studying time the OP put into test preparation, but studying should improve the score at least a few points, unless he hasn't taken all of the science classes that should be taken before the MCAT.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
It is weird that on my first, lowest MCAT, I could have dropped my best subsection score and gotten a 19. I can't imagine actually paying to apply with that kind of strike against me.

Scarletbegonias

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oklahoma
Status
KHep said:
There have to be some exceptions to the 3.7 gpa and the 30 MCAT. Come on...I mean otherwise you have very little variabiliy; you might as well have clone doctors. Seriously, all kinds of reasons exist for people having lower stats and we are not here to judge them. Let adcoms work through it...obviously they have more information at their disposal. I know that I am trying to recover from a gpa that is crap because I never dreamed of or even wanted to go to med school, but now that I know that is what I want to do, I have gotten nothing but A's for the last 50 some hours. And as for the MCAT, don't forget that the majority of people who are taking it are biology majors, so they have a few more science classes under their belts than some people who take it with only having had the basic pre-med classes. Just a thought.

But, of course, anyone who scores under the mean should without doubt attempt to bring up their score.
I'm not trying to brag or sound uppity or anything, but I would like to discuss some things, and I realize that anecdotal evidence is not very strong, but I will use myself as an example. Although, I did know that I wanted to become a physician from about the time I started going to college, it was not my only motivation to earn good grades. I worked hard over the last four years to earn the gpa that I did. My gpa would probably be higher without having taken the science pre-reqs that are required of med school admissions, but I also am responsible for the effort I put forth in order to earn the grades that I did, no matter what the motivation was. I'm not a biology major (psychology) and my score is above average, definately not stellar, (avg. is 21), so it's not really my major that held me back. I actually could have scored higher than I did (26Q), and I take responsibility for that. I did not put enough time into studying for the test. It's not that medical schools want clones, that's why they take extra curricular stuff into account when looking at applications, they just want competence and motivation. GPAs and test scores are some of the best indicators, and I'd like to think that my gpa reflects my effort and motivation to succeed. Lastly, most of us are not here to judge eachother. After all, the OP asked for advice.

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
scarletbegonias,

I was simply trying to say to everyone who was so down on the OP, that stuff happens when you are in college. Some posters sound as if they are simply criticizing rather than offering suggestions; and that is what I was trying to address by saying that the adcoms have many other parts of the file to weigh when looking at candidates. I don't know why, but I still try to keep an optimistic attitude that this is a suppprtive environment. I guess it its most of the time.

Most people who receive only A's aren't as interested in gaining knowledge as they are in getting the recognition for the grade. It's an unfortunate truth. I went round and round about this with my I/O psych professor until he pulled several pieces of literature that support that idea.

Life happens and the adcoms want to see that we can be successful regardless. And that is why I suggested to the OP that it would be in their best interest to retake the MCAT.

And I just wanted to mention the April 2004 MCAT's mean score was a 25. I'm not sure when you took it. :)

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Mean score is almost always 24-25. I dont know where this 21 average is coming from.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
KHep said:
scarletbegonias,

I was simply trying to say to everyone who was so down on the OP, that stuff happens when you are in college. Some posters sound as if they are simply criticizing rather than offering suggestions; and that is what I was trying to address by saying that the adcoms have many other parts of the file to weigh when looking at candidates. I don't know why, but I still try to keep an optimistic attitude that this is a suppprtive environment. I guess it its most of the time.

Most people who receive only A's aren't as interested in gaining knowledge as they are in getting the recognition for the grade. It's an unfortunate truth. I went round and round about this with my I/O psych professor until he pulled several pieces of literature that support that idea.

Life happens and the adcoms want to see that we can be successful regardless. And that is why I suggested to the OP that it would be in their best interest to retake the MCAT.

And I just wanted to mention the April 2004 MCAT's mean score was a 25. I'm not sure when you took it. :)
I don't think anyone was "down" on the OP; at the same time we aren't gonna sit here and blow smoke up his ass either.

Just because person X,Y, or Z got in with a 19 doesn't mean the OP will. What's the point of doing that? Just to spend a gazillion dollars applying and then figure out that the test needs to be retaken (which shouldn't even be a consideration)...

Elmer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
Buckeye(OH) said:
I don't think anyone was "down" on the OP; at the same time we aren't gonna sit here and blow smoke up his ass either.
I agree. If he had written this in October/November and was applying this cycle, I would have said that it wouldn't hurt to apply and see what happens. Then I would add to begin preparations in January to retake in April if things weren't going well.

That said - if I were on an adcom, I would wonder why a student with a below average score passed up two chances to improve that score for admission in 2006.

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
I agree that being realistic about one's chances is best. No one wants to throw away a thousand dollars or more applying if they don't have a shot.

tag_do

10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
From a soapbox: Like it or not, the majority of studies on the subject have shown the MCAT to be the best predictor of board scores at the end of MS2 (descent list of studies). Even if the adcom agrees that you would make a great clinition, you still have to pass your boards in order to do that. Should they be concerned? Yes.

To the OP: Be glad that you have a good gpa and poor MCAT instead of the converse. You should be able to make up the MCAT score with $1500 toward a prep course (which is probably 0.75% of the cost of four years of med school) and dozens of study hours. Focus, bust your butt, and get yourself into medical school because of your hard work.

robo77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
I am not sure if this will work as well for you as it has for a friend of mine, but with the similar score on MCAT he was able to get into 5 DO schools, so yeah I would say you should be ok.

NUKid said:

Scarletbegonias

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2005
Oklahoma
Status
Buckeye(OH) said:
Mean score is almost always 24-25. I dont know where this 21 average is coming from.
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't really thinking about the 21. BUT the fact that the mean is 24-25 means the 19 is quite a low score (although no one's really debating that :oops: ). And all I was really trying to get across earlier is a little personal responsibility goes a long way.

InductionAgent

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

hotlikebutter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2004
Status
tag_do said:
From a soapbox: Like it or not, the majority of studies on the subject have shown the MCAT to be the best predictor of board scores at the end of MS2 (descent list of studies). Even if the adcom agrees that you would make a great clinition, you still have to pass your boards in order to do that. Should they be concerned? Yes.

To the OP: Be glad that you have a good gpa and poor MCAT instead of the converse. You should be able to make up the MCAT score with $1500 toward a prep course (which is probably 0.75% of the cost of four years of med school) and dozens of study hours. Focus, bust your butt, and get yourself into medical school because of your hard work.
"clinition?" you meant clinician right? :p

also, your post is only half correct. AAMC finds that MCAT and GPA are only effective predictors of USMLE scores when taken together and either one alone is not significant.

but like what tag do said, you are lucky that you only have to take one test over, instead of taking all your sciences courses over. you are almost there, just get that 25+ and you are golden and as good as in. good luck!

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I would never say someone is "good as golden" without seeing their application/interviewing them....

DaveinDallas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok, so what should a 25P ( I was working deep nights at the time) with (non-Texas) gpa of 3.2 overall, 3.5 science do for me? In Texas the gpa went to 3.0 overall, 3.2 science.

bcruize

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
Status
I would def retake MCAT in april- and again in august if you are not happy with the score. It is only a test but Adcom can't ignore it and only look at you and your gpa. On the otherhand I would not be surprised is the person mentioned in the original e-mail that was accepted with a 19O was a minority within a minortity. I am a healthcare practitioner and I treated a patient, 35yo black female- that was accepted to an MD school with a 3.1 and an MCAT of 18- about 8 years ago. Surprise surprise she couldn'e cut it and dropped out before the end of the first year and teaches highschool now. FYI she had a full ride as well. So what I amsaying is there were prob extreme circumstances surrounding the 19o getting accepted even to an instate DO school. Best of luck to you- atleast by retaking if you dont get in you know you did everything you possibly could- that is how I functioned- april 04- 22s, aug 04- 28r- applying now
brian

tag_do

10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
hotlikebutter said:
"clinition?" you meant clinician right? :p
Luckily for me, most schools don't emfasize the ritin section ;)

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
Beach or Pool, you pick...
Visit site
Status
bcruize said:
I would def retake MCAT in april- and again in august if you are not happy with the score. It is only a test but Adcom can't ignore it and only look at you and your gpa. On the otherhand I would not be surprised is the person mentioned in the original e-mail that was accepted with a 19O was a minority within a minortity. I am a healthcare practitioner and I treated a patient, 35yo black female- that was accepted to an MD school with a 3.1 and an MCAT of 18- about 8 years ago. Surprise surprise she couldn'e cut it and dropped out before the end of the first year and teaches highschool now. FYI she had a full ride as well. So what I amsaying is there were prob extreme circumstances surrounding the 19o getting accepted even to an instate DO school. Best of luck to you- atleast by retaking if you dont get in you know you did everything you possibly could- that is how I functioned- april 04- 22s, aug 04- 28r- applying now
brian
You are more on the line as to wether or not you should retake it. I would venture to guess that if you have really good extracurriculars and LORs that you should be able to get in somewhere with that score.

If you think that you could do better on the exam of you were to retake it, and have the time to study--I think I would...unless you do worse, it won't hurt. You have to know yourself in deciding if you want to take that risk. My score wasn't much higher than yours (but GPA a bit higher) and I got in with no problem. I weighed it out and decided that I would apply this time; see what happened--and retake only if I HAD to.
Good luck with your decision.

Riverama

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
Bethesda
Status
ok here's the deal. I applied to MD schools 3 years ago with a 14N. what was I thinking? Well I got rejected from every school. of course. did an internship in healthcare managament, 2 yrs of esearch w/ publications at Yale and a yr at NIH. I had a 3.8 GPA in undegrad, 3.6 GPA at yale grad. I retook the mact in aug of 2004 and got a 18Q. I got into UMDNJ-SOM. They really nailed me about my MCAT. But I had a vaild reason for this. Anyhow, you need to retake it. I registered to atke it in april for the 3rd time. If you really want to be a doc you need to be willing to do anything for it. I was and I'm in. Retake it and if yu still dont do well take time off to make your application interesting and unique. Man I took almost 4 yrs off. Its certainly worth the hard work.

good luck

NUKid said:

OP
N

NUKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Riverama said:
ok here's the deal. I applied to MD schools 3 years ago with a 14N. what was I thinking? Well I got rejected from every school. of course. did an internship in healthcare managament, 2 yrs of esearch w/ publications at Yale and a yr at NIH. I had a 3.8 GPA in undegrad, 3.6 GPA at yale grad. I retook the mact in aug of 2004 and got a 18Q. I got into UMDNJ-SOM. They really nailed me about my MCAT. But I had a vaild reason for this. Anyhow, you need to retake it. I registered to atke it in april for the 3rd time. If you really want to be a doc you need to be willing to do anything for it. I was and I'm in. Retake it and if yu still dont do well take time off to make your application interesting and unique. Man I took almost 4 yrs off. Its certainly worth the hard work.

good luck
How did you explain your low score to the adcom? Again, thanks everyone for their comments. I am definately planning on retaking. It was a no brainer to figure out that I need to retake but I just wanted to get everone's opinion.

Docgeorge

Bent Over and Violated
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2002
Not on the Beach
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Tell what you think really happened. That will be look better then some contrived anwser. Also tell them what you plan to do about it.