Possibly applying rad onc, am I competitive for mid-upper tier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UndecidedM3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker of SDN and wondering what my chances of matching into a solid rad onc program are. Reading some of the dread stories on here make me question pursuing this field, and because of this I feel I would only want to pursue it if I am confident I can match at a mid-upper tier program. Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Top 40 medical school
Step 1: 250
Step 2: haven’t taken
Class percentile: top 25%
AOA: invited to apply, still waiting to hear back

Clinical Grades: Our school does top 15% H, the next 25% HP, and the rest P.
H in neuro, inpatient IM, outpatient IM, OBGYN, Family Med and some elective courses
HP in psych, surgery
P in Peds

Research: 2 1st author pubs and 2 2nd author pubs in surgical oncology (1 basic science). Zero in rad onc
2 podium presentations and 2 posters in oncology

Extracurricular- decent volunteering/leadership/involvement

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, long time lurker of SDN and wondering what my chances of matching into a solid rad onc program are. Reading some of the dread stories on here make me question pursuing this field, and because of this I feel I would only want to pursue it if I am confident I can match at a mid-upper tier program. Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Top 40 medical school
Step 1: 250
Step 2: haven’t taken
Class percentile: top 25%
AOA: invited to apply, still waiting to hear back

Clinical Grades: Our school does top 15% H, the next 25% HP, and the rest P.
H in neuro, inpatient IM, outpatient IM, OBGYN, Family Med and some elective courses
HP in psych, surgery
P in Peds

Research: 2 1st author pubs and 2 2nd author pubs in surgical oncology (1 basic science). Zero in rad onc
2 podium presentations and 2 posters in oncology

Extracurricular- decent volunteering/leadership/involvement
Assuming 1) that you do rad onc rotations and get good letters and 2) can have a normal conversation and are comfortable working with cancer patients, then you are likely to match but you should convince yourself that this is the field for you as the job prospects are limited (especially if you have geographic restrictions). I have no idea what mid-upper tier means, but you whould be competitive for a program in the middle of the pack. Good Luck