Possibly being laid off from my research position... Don't know what to do

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
if I only end up staying for 3-4 months, is this even long enough for schools to consider it "research experience"?
This is equivalent to a full-time summer research experience and more intense than one semester (usually part-time), which many applicants list. Closer to a year's worth is about average though.

Have you discussed your intolerance of the vivarium environment with your physician to see if the problem can be controlled?

You don't have to list the one-month patient care experience on your med school application. You're correct that bouncing around too often could look fishy.

OP
J
Aug 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you discussed your intolerance of the vivarium environment with your physician to see if the problem can be controlled?

You don't have to list the one-month patient care experience on your med school application. You're correct that bouncing around too often could look fishy.
I did consult with my doctors and they advise not going in the mouse room unless I were to wear a full respirator, etc... which would really not be ideal since it would take so long just to get prepared to go into the vivarium area.

I actually was hoping to list the one month PCT thing... It was a really good experience, even if it only was short term. I got to do EKGs, blood draws, vitals, help nurses with changing dressings, and I also got to get a sense of what a hospital floor was like. But are you saying that it looks bad that it was so short? Or only that it looks bad in the context of me having multiple short term jobs?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
Or only that it looks bad in the context of me having multiple short term jobs?
This /\.

My workplace has face-only, battery-powered, air-filtering (Darth Vader-like) respirator masks that go on and off very quickly. We have a nurse who has worked in one for years. What do yours look like?

OP
J
Aug 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Lol. That's pretty awesome. I don't actually know what our's look like, but I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to just stick on a helmet-type thing. I'll have to look into it. Thanks so much!