Possibly failing calculus?! does this ruin my chances to get into a good med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stacysmith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Won't ruin your chances, but don't make a habit of it. Next semester, don't take a heavy course load. Take easier classes/gen eds until you get the hang of college courses. Try as hard as you can to pass this class - identify why you haven't done well in calculus so far, go to the professors office hours to ask questions, and do as many practice problems as you can to prepare for your upcoming tests. One C or even one F won't hurt, just don't do it again in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your best to get the highest score you can for this semester (obviously try to get a C).
No point of crying over things just yet, when the final results are not in yet. You are not in a impossible situation, some of the people in my class need to get a 100% on 2 exams to get a grade they need. So you have some wiggle room. You will have to study very hard.

Everything is way too early. You are learning ,but at the cost of some mistakes. If you reform your study habits and show a strong upward trend 1 bad grade is not going to kill your chances. It might raise some questions and you might explain things, but you just have to understand you will need to show an upward trend so good grades from here on out.

Also, please dont pay attention to what your friend is doing. They will not be part of your application. Focus on what you need to do to get the grade you need/want.

Best of wishes !!! I know this time of year is stressful. Just dont focus on the numbers over and over in your head if its stressing you out, and focus on mastering the material. If you pulled of a C that would be great. Show the test what you are made of.

You're a freshman, you still have plenty of time to improve and do well. Talk with your professor and figure out what you're not getting and why, and figure out a way to score what you need on the final to pass.

You really should strive for a 4.0 GPA every semester. 3.3 is likely not going to cut it at any US MD schools. Nearly every US MD school, the average GPA accepted is 3.5 average or above.

So getting a failing grade will hurt a lot. Getting a C will hurt less. I got one C. I had to explain that C on secondary applications and interviews at several of the medical schools I applied to. Thankfully, I was able to get accepted, but it does make things much more difficult.

I'd strive to get the best grade you can on your final. And really try to get a 4.0 GPA in every class. I truly believe that anyone can get near 4.0s each semester if they want it enough.

Just give your best, learn from you mistakes and always try to find ways to improve and you will be fine.

You really should strive for a 4.0 GPA every semester. 3.3 is likely not going to cut it at any US MD schools. Nearly every US MD school, the average GPA accepted is 3.5 average or above.

So getting a failing grade will hurt a lot. Getting a C will hurt less. I got one C. I had to explain that C on secondary applications to several of the medical schools I applied to. I still got interviews at several of those schools because I explained the C well but I know it hurt my chances. A different school that I got interviewed at, I also had to explain that C during the interview. Thankfully, I was able to get accepted at the school I interviewed at, but it does make things much more difficult for you.

I'd strive to get the best grade you can on your final. And really try to get a 4.0 GPA in every class. I truly believe that anyone can consistently get 4.0s each semester if they want it enough.

If the worst thing they ask you about during an interview is a single C, you're doing completely fine. You can get a C and easily get into medical school. You don't have to get 4.0s every semester (or even ever).

freshman on the premed track ,neuroscience major
Interesting major - just saying

80% on the final in 2 weeks to pass the course( a C) or a 100% (in order to receive a (B- )
Can you withdraw? C isn't terrible. Is calc required for your major? Many med school nowadays don't require calculus anymore :/
Get a tutor? What don't you get about it? What is hard? You need to know why you struggle to improve.

if i average a 3.3 gpa my fall semester freshman year???

I had a 2.0 for 1 semester (granted it was only like 2 classes in the summer) that was between junior and senior year :O. They are a bit nicer on freshmen because of the transition. Show some upperward trend.

big fat F on my transcript.
I have 1 fat F, 1 fat D, and 1 fat W. I believe my school is a top 20... maybe top 10? and my first choice school too.

my friends have been receiving great grades on the calc exams and I just want to lie down in my bed and cry.
Yeah, that's a big problem. Not the part where your friends do well and you don't. The fact you compare yourself to them.
A bunch of people do better than me in a bunch of areas - basically the story of my life. That's O-K. :D You just have to pull yourself through and do well. I set the curve on nearly every single math and engineering exam - but I also scored in the lowest sections for every other areas in my life. My SAT english was like... 400-500? (HAHA). My ACT english - well... I don't remember but it didn't even break 20. Don't compare your weakness to someone else's strength - just causes depression.

Hey @stacysmith - why do you care about a top med school? Even if you graduate from a middle rank med school, you can still kick ass on your boards and go into any field unlimited (just don't go carribean)