Post-2nd Year Break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDO23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this upcoming year, my school is planning on having students finish second year around May 1, and not begin 3rd year rotations until Sept. 1, essentially giving students 4 months to study for boards and hopefully boost scores all around. However, it seems this could be a set back in terms of getting good experience in rotations and trying out electives before it is time to apply to residency, and it seems like way more time than I have heard is necessary for board studying, so I was wondering: Has anyone else heard of a system like this or have any thoughts on whether it is a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Starting this upcoming year, my school is planning on having students finish second year around May 1, and not begin 3rd year rotations until Sept. 1, essentially giving students 4 months to study for boards and hopefully boost scores all around. However, it seems this could be a set back in terms of getting good experience in rotations and trying out electives before it is time to apply to residency, and it seems like way more time than I have heard is necessary for board studying, so I was wondering: Has anyone else heard of a system like this or have any thoughts on whether it is a good idea?

4 months is crazy. I think 1 or 2 months is the normal. You should be more than ready after 6 weeks of hardcore studying.

If you can, I'd study for 2 months, take the test, and then see you if you can do some electives. 4 months is dumb.

I studied like 10-12 hrs a day for about 6 weeks with half days every 1.5 to 2 weeks. I was burned out by the end of week 6. 5 to 6 weeks is enough for step prep. I couldn't focus the last few days before the exam because I was so burned out. I ended up taking a day off before my exam. I am very glad that step 1 is behind me. Probably one of the worst periods of my life thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied like 10-12 hrs a day for about 6 weeks with half days every 1.5 to 2 weeks. I was burned out by the end of week 6. 5 to 6 weeks is enough for step prep. I couldn't focus the last few days before the exam because I was so burned out. I ended up taking a day off before my exam. I am very glad that step 1 is behind me. Probably one of the worst periods of my life thus far.

Feel better?

Study for 2 months. Leave ~5-7 days between USMLE and COMLEX if you are taking both; take whichever one matters to you more first (I recommend USMLE).

4 months is way too much and won't be conducive after a while. I think we had like 4 weeks of dedicated board prep time.

3rd year is very important for step 2 prep and for getting used to clinicals for the purposes of away/audition rotations come residency application season. I would take a couple of those 4 months to do electives in fields you are really interested in.