Post 9/11 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PressPforPi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about what the Post 9/11 awards. I was awarded $7k worth of scholarships at a private medical school on top of the Post 9/11. The tuition is $42k a year. The bursar's office made it seem like my scholarships would lessen what the VA would pay out for my Post 9/11. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Your gi bill will cover $24.5k max at private plus bah stipend. Since this is well below the tuition, the scholarship should not be affecting that number.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a little confused about what the Post 9/11 awards. I was awarded $7k worth of scholarships at a private medical school on top of the Post 9/11. The tuition is $42k a year. The bursar's office made it seem like my scholarships would lessen what the VA would pay out for my Post 9/11. Can anyone clarify this for me?

I believe it would depend on the type of scholarship it is. There are scholarships that are specific to tuition, and others that are not. The VA is the last to pay usually, and what gets paid is also partially up to how the individual school bills (i.e. full tuition and fees from the get-go, versus billing what is left over after tuition scholarships).

If it's for tuition only, there is a chance that it would just reduce what the VA pays, but consider you mention you will be attending a private school which often (not all the time though) comes with a higher price tag, it could help close the difference in tuition cost.

If it's for you and can be used for anything, it likely would be applied last, and thus would be overpayment which would then be re-disbursed to you to use as you see fit (i.e. books, housing, other fees, a computer, etc), or again would just cover the difference.

Discuss further with your bursar and/or VA rep about if this is for tuition only to get clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
$24.5k max at private

In your case though after re-reading, regardless of if it's tuition specific or not, the combination of the capped amount of GI Bill for a private school being $24.5k + the $7k would result in you still paying about $10.5k out of the $42k with the scholarship in place.

Reactions: 1 user
MusicD0c,

The woman I spoke with stated that even though one of my scholarships doesn’t have to be specifically paid towards tuition, it will be counted against what they can bill the VA for.

MusicD0c,

The woman I spoke with stated that even though one of my scholarships doesn’t have to be specifically paid towards tuition, it will be counted against what they can bill the VA for.

I would double check, but in either case, they will bill the VA the full amount remaining at least, if not the full amount. So if tuition is $42k, and you receive 7k in scholarship, the VA would still be billed $35k. The GI Bill for private school will cover no more than $24.5k, effectively still covering the maximum allowed under the law/guidelines for the VA, and still leaving you with $10.5k to pay.

This is the conclusion that I arrived at originally as well. I think it’s possible that she assumed that I was an undergraduate student, and they typically don’t have a $42k tuition bill to pay.

This is the conclusion that I arrived at originally as well. I think it’s possible that she assumed that I was an undergraduate student, and they typically don’t have a $42k tuition bill to pay.

That could very well be a possibility. I've had numerous occasions while in school that even with the dates clearly states, for instance, I would still get registered for the same semesters as the undergrads, effectively 2 months less each year of coverage until it gets fixed. Different situation, but similar in nature.

This is a common case as well. Albeit true that the VA covers what bill is left "After" scholarships are applied, the difference in coverage is so great that it wont lower your VA payment eligibility with the Chapter 33 benefits (as was mentioned by others previously).

As a side note, programs are updating Yellow Ribbon Program eligibility for current and new private school programs. Double check the VA portal listed in the stickies and see if your school shows up this year for the program eligibility (for many its a first come first serve basis).