Post a clinical picture...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and the next person give the disease process. Could be fun. I'll start with an easy one.

"Pansystolic murmur noted at the apex with radiation into the axilla, increased on inspiration."

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Idiopathic
...and the next person give the disease process. Could be fun. I'll start with an easy one.

"Pansystolic murmur noted at the apex with radiation into the axilla, increased on inspiration."

MVP?

"2 month old infant with recurrent thrush, hypocalcemia, and very low T-cell count. History reveals seizures shortly after birth."

Originally posted by Goofyone
MVP?

"2 month old infant with recurrent thrush, hypocalcemia, and very low T-cell count. History reveals seizures shortly after birth."

DiGeorge's?

Members don't see this ad :)

"52 year old man with cysts on liver containing organisms with phagocytosed RBC's"

Entamoeba histolytica?

"55 year old woman with increasing jaundice, fatigue, and pruritis. elevated alk phos., LDL, antimitochondrial antibody. "

"55 year old woman with increasing jaundice, fatigue, and pruritis. elevated alk phos., LDL, antimitochondrial antibody. "

Primary Biliary Cirrhosis

" 31 year old man with HIV presents with mild jaundice, fever, malaise, and hepatosplenomegaly. Labs show postive Coomb's test and decreased serum haptoglobin levels. No hemozoin seen on peripheral blood smear. Travel history: spent a week in the northeast US about two weeks ago. History of tick bites"

86-year old man with urinary retention and mild back pain. PSA of 3. Most probable diagnosis?

sounds like BPH maybe?

10 year old girl presents with facial edema, 4+ protein on UA, EM shows fusion of foot processes...

Minimal change disease?

''55 year old obese female with a fasting glucose of 350 and 7.35 blood pH presents with facial pain"

Originally posted by BellKicker
86-year old man with urinary retention and mild back pain. PSA of 3. Most probable diagnosis?

Metastatic Prostate ca (metastatasis to spine is common, pain charectorized as unrelieved with rest and constant)

Originally posted by Kalel
Metastatic Prostate ca (metastatasis to spine is common, pain charectorized as unrelieved with rest and constant)

No, I think in that setting BPH is more likely. The low PSA doesn't exactly rule out cancer but since mild back pain is extremely prevalent in the elderly, our most likely diagnosis is BPH.

Next step would be rectal exploration. In a younger person we would go straight to trans-rectal ultrasound and/or biopsi but probably not in a person of this age. Bone scan is a possibility too.

New case:

57-year old female presents with jaundice. She has been an alchoholic for many years. She has diffuse abdominal pain with some radiation to her back. There is palpable, painless distension of the gallbladder.

If she has lost 11 punds over the last 6 months it could be?

If she has had similar episodes int he past it could be?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I think in that setting BPH is more likely. The low PSA doesn't exactly rule out cancer but since mild back pain is extremely prevalent in the elderly, our most likely diagnosis is BPH.

Next step would be rectal exploration. In a younger person we would go straight to trans-rectal ultrasound and/or biopsi but probably not in a person of this age. Bone scan is a possibility too.

New case:

57-year old female presents with jaundice. She has been an alchoholic for many years. She has diffuse abdominal pain with some radiation to her back. There is palpable, painless distension of the gallbladder.

If she has lost 11 punds over the last 6 months it could be?

If she has had similar episodes int he past it could be?

Lost weight: pancreatic cancer causing obstructive jaundice (Courvoisier sign: palpable gallbladder)

Similar episodes in the past: Cholethisiasis causing recurrent pancreatitis

54 yr old WM with type I DM with poor diabetic control presents with severe maxillary sinus pain, purulent discharge from nasal sinus, and headache.

mucormycosis?

38 yo WM with longstanding h/o chronic sinusitis, reactive airway disease, who now presents with paresthesias in BLE and dysuria.

-s.

Similar episodes in the past: Cholethisiasis causing recurrent pancreatitis

I was thinking recurrent pancreatitis with biliary obstruction (I think theoretically the gallbladder becomes scarred and non-distendable if there are many stones). Your choice is probably more realistic, though.

54 yr old WM with type I DM with poor diabetic control presents with severe maxillary sinus pain, purulent discharge from nasal sinus, and headache.

Mucormycosis?:(

I was thinking recurrent pancreatitis with biliary obstruction (I think theoretically the gallbladder becomes scarred and non-distendable if there are many stones). Your choice is probably more realistic, though.

Mucormycosis?:(

I don't think that chronic pancreatitis is really associated with recurrent cholecystis or obstruction of the bile duct. Mucormycosis is correct for my question though, we had a patient who we thought might have that during my ID service. It turned out not to be mucormycosis. Now that i think about it, most cases that present like the way that I presented my case in the real world probably wouldn't be mucormyosis since it's so rare, but the way that I presented it is probably how it'd show up on the boards(and most ID docs would tell you that you have to cover for mucor or other fungal infections empirically anyways with my case). Sorry sanfillipo, I don't know the answer to your case.

chronic sinusitis
situs inversus
dextrocardia?

esophageal webs
iron def.anemia
glossitis?

this is fun

Originally posted by NebelDO
chronic sinusitis
situs inversus
dextrocardia?

esophageal webs
iron def.anemia
glossitis?

this is fun

Kartagener's

Plummer syndrome

"Newborn with hyperpigmented, ambiguous genitalia, karyotype XX, elevated 17 hydroxyprogesterone."

Adrenogenital syndrome

You beat me to the last one :p

"A 4 year old child with excessive laughter, microcephaly and mental ******ation"

Angelman's?

I'll post a clinical scenario later. Have to study for my Friday exam.

A 31 year old female presenting with hematemesis, postural
hypotension, and severe persistent nausea and vomiting. What
is the source of the hematemesis? What should this patient be
evaluated for?

Originally posted by Stinger86
A 31 year old female presenting with hematemesis, postural
hypotension, and severe persistent nausea and vomiting. What
is the source of the hematemesis? What should this patient be
evaluated for?

Hematemesis almost always indicates upper GI bleed. Pt should be worked up for a number of things, but I would start with getting more history (liver disease, NSAID usage, PUD, etc).

34 yo WF with butterfly malar rash.

SLE

45-yo woman with diplopia that gets worse in the evening. Mediastinal mass on CT.

SLE

45-yo woman with diplopia that gets worse in the evening. Mediastinal mass on CT.

myasthenia gravis with thyoma?

22 yo s/p fall presents to ER with anatomical snuff box tenderness and normal hand x-ray

Scaphoid/navicular fracture. Splint it, check after one week and again after 2. If still painfull, do bone scan.

Young man presents with "a broken hand". He was in a MVA and had his left hand (the "broken" one) on the wheel. There's now indirect tenderness to his wrist. On x-ray, there's palmar dislocation of the distal radius.

is that a collies fracture??

7 year old male with jaundice that has absense of glucoronal transferase?

Hematemesis almost always indicates upper GI bleed. Pt should be worked up for a number of things, but I would start with getting more history (liver disease, NSAID usage, PUD, etc).
B]

In this case I was pointing to Mallory-Weiss tears of the esophagus due to severe persistent retching. The severe persistent nausea/vomiting indicates possible hyperemesis gravidarum. A pregnancy test should be included in the workup of any female of childbearing age with severe/persistent nausea/vomiting

7 year old male with jaundice that has absense of glucoronal transferase?

Are you talking about glucuronyl transferase? I think Crigler-Najar, but I'm not sure what type.

"A man with multiple gastric, duodenal, and jejunal ulcers. What hormone is most likely to be elevated? What genetic syndrome can predispose this patient to his current problem"

Originally posted by Stinger86
Are you talking about glucuronyl transferase? I think Crigler-Najar, but I'm not sure what type.

"A man with multiple gastric, duodenal, and jejunal ulcers. What hormone is most likely to be elevated? What genetic syndrome can predispose this patient to his current problem"

Elevated gastrin (from Zollinger-Ellison syndrome)
The genetic syndrome I think is Wermer's (MEN I)

"A 21 y/o male with a painless, indurated ulcer with a clean base on the shaft of the penis."

syphilis right?

stinger86--right on about the Crigler Najar..sorry i cant spell

"28 Year old female with Frequecy, Urgency, Dysuria BUT has a negative culture?"

Negative culture for what? I would say chlamydia, in the face of a negative GC culture.

"32-year old male is c-ANCA positive, and is treated with a drug that has a high propensity for causing malignancy.

What is the drug?
What is the most likely malignancy?"

i guess i should have asked my question better..
i was looking for interstitial cystitis

Negative culture for what? I would say chlamydia, in the face of a negative GC culture.

"32-year old male is c-ANCA positive, and is treated with a drug that has a high propensity for causing malignancy.

What is the drug?
What is the most likely malignancy?"

Wegener's Granulomatosis? Is the most common malignancy leukemia? I don't know what the drug is though.

Here ya go: 55 y/o male with elevated alk phos, but normal calcium; pain in right tibia & lumbar spine, and bifrontal headaches. Impaired hearing. Increased warmth on tibia. Right leg 1/2 inch shorter than left.

Pagets of Bone

23 year old male with history of schizophrenia continues to suffer from infections from chronic drug use, which drug?

Originally posted by coconut lime
Wegener's Granulomatosis? Is the most common malignancy leukemia? I don't know what the drug is though.

Here ya go: 55 y/o male with elevated alk phos, but normal calcium; pain in right tibia & lumbar spine, and bifrontal headaches. Impaired hearing. Increased warmth on tibia. Right leg 1/2 inch shorter than left.

Wegeners is right. Rx with cyclophosphamide which causes transitional cell CA of the bladder.

Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus hope thats right...

23 year old pregnant female presents with hepatomegaly, abd. pain, ascites. CT demonstrates hepatic vein thrombosis
Diagnosis?

Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus hope thats right...

23 year old pregnant female presents with hepatomegaly, abd. pain, ascites. CT demonstrates hepatic vein thrombosis
Diagnosis?

Budd chiari??

10 year old girl having trouble in school and seems to zone out every now and then. Whats the Dx and Drug of choice?

absence seizures; 1st line ethosuximide.

i was going for Churg-Strauss Syndrome in previous post. I'll try to make it clearer:

10 year old boy has h/o photosensitivity, hypohidrosis, and hematuria persistently on repeat U/A's. His older brother, who accompanied him to clinic, has a peculiar rash over his abdomen, genitalia, and legs comprised of myriad dark purple, punctate papules that don't coalesce. There is a family history of male relatives being on dialysis in middle-age or dying of renal failure.

What's the diagnosis? What treatment is now available for this disease?

-s.

you beat me to it.

"10 year old albino child with recurrent strep and staph infections."

"A young boy is hypoglycemic, even when given an infusion of glucagon."

I would say Pompe Disease, because the child wouldn't have the acid maltase to continue the glycogenolytic process.

"A female adult who's 4 feet tall, and presents with amenorrhea"

"A female adult who's 4 feet tall, and presents with amenorrhea

Turners Syndrome

34YO male with a history of intestinal polyps and areas of hyperpigmentation on the buccal mucosa..

Gardner's syndrome with pigmented skin lesions?

77 yo post-op day 1 from CABG has low grade fever.