Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
Yeah so now that I've been accepted to med school, I really don't want to keep working at my job. It seems so pointless because I know I will be out of there in 4 months. Ahh, but I'm committed until June 24th.

Anyone else feel this way?

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Rugger81 said:
Yeah so now that I've been accepted to med school, I really don't want to keep working at my job. It seems so pointless because I know I will be out of there in 4 months. Ahh, but I'm committed until June 24th.

Anyone else feel this way?
Well, I actually love my job (teaching sixth grade). But it would be nice if i didn't have to work all the way until June 18th. I want to hurry up and start med school :)

OP
R

Rugger81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
I teach high school. I definitely don't love it.

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Well, I said my last day would be Friday, July 1st. I want out now, though.

heeter

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
Visit site
Status
my last day is march 30th... Then vegas, then tahoe for snowboarding, then uh, I don't know yet. Some cheap trip I'm sure. quit yer damn job already!

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
I like my job as a CNA in the local ICU. It's a front row seat for medicine without any real responsibility, other than helping with some basic patient care. I could however, give less than a flip about the classes I'm taking.

But dang, I just want to have all the final results in so I can make a decision and start planning my move!!

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I work as a cardiovascular technician/phlebotomist/medical assistant at a large cardiology practice. It actually is quite rewarding, and the experience is phenomenal - gave me lots to talk about during my interviews. The patients are awesome too, and the doctors I work with always explain things to me. But, it's very tiring since we're super busy. And patients can certainly be annoying, especially when they yell at you, the poor little tech, for the doctor being two hours behind. But I guess our future is filled with being tired, emotionally drained, super busy, and not-so-nice-patients. Yay! :D

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
passthesashimi said:
i'd quit if i were u , and take a nice long vacation. i can't quit school though :p.
For me, the anti-climax = SENIORITIS. Big time.

tinkerbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2003
Neverland
Status
Attending Physician
Rugger81 said:
:laugh: That sucks then. I love teaching little kids though. They are so adorable :love: Plus i teach in a private girls school, so the girls are well behaved :D

Shaz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
Status
God, all I want to do is go to the beach all day or watch movies.

I should be studying right now, but Austin Powers is on, and I've never seen it.

Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Caleefornia
Status
Shaz said:
God, all I want to do is go to the beach all day or watch movies.

I should be studying right now, but Austin Powers is on, and I've never seen it.
:thumbup: :laugh: :thumbup:

MedicineBird

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
I need Ed McMahon to show up at my door with some balloons and a giant check so I can afford to quit my job and travel the world before relocating for medschool.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
seriously, I wish a giant check would come through my door so that I can afford to quit my job. So many of you are talking about quiting your jobs and taking trips, where do you get the $$$?

MedicineBird said:
I need Ed McMahon to show up at my door with some balloons and a giant check so I can afford to quit my job and travel the world before relocating for medschool.

chocolate-e

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Definitely. I like my job a lot (just a lab tech, but the people I work with are a lot of fun); however, the moment I told my boss I'm headed to med school this fall, I feel like I pretty much became a placeholder.

The class I'm taking (pre-req for my backup plan if I didn't get into medical school), on the other hand, I could dispose of glady with no tears shed.

MedicineBird

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
sdnstud said:
seriously, I wish a giant check would come through my door so that I can afford to quit my job. So many of you are talking about quiting your jobs and taking trips, where do you get the $$$?

My sentiments EXACTLY! Gotta work so I can pay the rent and use savings to move and pay 1st, last, deposit on a new place. I wish I could blow it and go on a whirlwind adventure but, alas, I don't own a money tree.

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
I agree with all of the sentiments posted on this thread. It's difficult to plan when you don't know where you are going to be come fall. I'm just praying that I hear from the two schools I am waiting on before the summer, so I can plan my move, give my notice, and get geared up to start school. The start dates at various schools differ so much that I don't know what date to give for my notice. The one school I am accepted at starts in early September (which gives me plenty of time to get settled before school, if I plan to leave my job in late-July), but most other schools start in early August (which would call for a much earlier departure from work).

I'm in the same situation as many of you....as much as I want to take time off before school starts, having no cash flow for several weeks is going to be next to impossible....unless I scrape up some kind of bridge loan until my school loans kick in. When does the first loan check come, btw? So many unknowns, but that said, I AM very grateful to be in this predicament!

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2003
Crazy Town
Status
Attending Physician
Shoot. If it wasn't for being a mod, I'd probably never set foot in pre-allo again following my acceptance to my Number 1. :D

MedicineBird

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
kc123 said:
When does the first loan check come, btw?
1st day of classes. Hence the need to plan finances carefully until then. :(

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
Rugger81 said:
how come??? I teach HS and absolutely love it. it's pretty cool too that when I talk to the kids and tell them what i've done and what i'm doin, it kinda bring hope into their eyes. like going to college and graduating and stuff. i think it's more because i'm closer to their age and they can relate to me. but anyhow... i am bored with my life. i gotta admit. anti-climactic for sure.