Post-acceptance Syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EddieIndy

Cardiology Fellow
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone feels the same about this:

I used to love my Biomedical Engineering major until senior year started and I was totally focused on applying to medschool. Now that I'm accepted, every class seems totally useless to me. Obviously I will never use most of the stuff I learn ever again. Even my quantitative physiology class is really heavy on math :confused:

I wish I could drop out :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on acceptance but what an incredibly arrogant post.

I'm having a different type of post acceptance syndrome. This is pretty tough to explain, but its as if I'm going through a psychological shift -- that is to say, I'm having a hard time stopping this acceptance from getting to my head. Its like I was programmed to believe I would never make it into medical school, I applied believing deep down that I would not get in, and yet here I am... All I can say is I'm glad I have an entire year to let this all soak in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on acceptance but what an incredibly arrogant post.
Are we a little envious? It's ok if we are.
To the OP, I feel the same way, even though I am a post bac student and am done with classes. My full time job is what is killing me....

I used to love my Biomedical Engineering major until senior year started and I was totally focused on applying to medschool. Now that I'm accepted, every class seems totally useless to me. Obviously I will never use most of the stuff I learn ever again. Even my quantitative physiology class is really heavy on math :confused:

I feel SO bad for you...do you know how lucky you are to find out so early?? And not have to reapply??

Sorry, bitter rant. Congratulations, it must be the best feeling in the world! :thumbup:

congrats... its like you have college version of seniorities.:)

congrats! (and I really dont think you are being arrogant)

I'm just so relieved I'm going somewhere. But yes, I can't wait until school starts, and everything else seems a little stale in comparison.

Hm, was it a mistake to hand my interviewer my business card, write my cell number on the back and ask him to call me when I was accepted? :confused:

Hm, was it a mistake to hand my interviewer my business card, write my cell number on the back and ask him to call me when I was accepted? :confused:

Yikes. I would say yes, but that is just my opinion.

It's all relative. I think asking your interviewer "do you mind if I smoke" or trying to sell him/her some girl scout cookies would be pushing it.

But then again, maybe it's not so bad. I'd be flattered if someone gave me a cookie and said "come on, take a bite, I baked these myself."

Well shucks, between that and him reading part of my secondary essay and asking what I meant when I that cougar hunting was one of my favorite hobbies, I guess I dont feel so confident about Loma Linda anymore :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Well shucks, between that and him reading part of my secondary essay and asking what I meant when I that cougar hunting was one of my favorite hobbies, I guess I dont feel so confident about Loma Linda anymore :(

No clue about Loma Linda. Their secondary scared me so much I decided not to apply there.

Ya, the interview was weird too. I think everthing was going OK until the topic of getting blasted after midterms came up.

It bothers me that even after this post, people still don't realize that you're joking.

Maybe you should've actually asked the interviewer for a picture of his/her mom, and then wink.

Tough crowd I guess... I was probably going to have to break out the big guns to get a hint of a reaction. :(

It Depends.

If you meant that you like one nighters with beautiful and powerful independent women then you aren't in such bad shape. ;)

Your confidence would be your best EC.

OP, I kinda get what you are saying. However, I haven't had my acceptance long enough to have even gone to class knowing that I am going to medical school, but I do feel a tremendous amount of pressure lifted off of me, so I anticipate a bad case of senioritis/im-going-to-med-schoolitis. Yet, I still think I'll enjoy what I'm learning (except next semester, but I wasn't going to enjoy that anyways. Quantum mechanics-yuck! :barf:)

EDIT: Congrats by the way, and good luck to those still waiting.

Same here. I quit going to most of my classes altogether, and for the one with mandatory attendance, I just either sleep through it or do a crossword.

they aren't cougars anymore when they are in your age range :p

Yup, this thread got a little bit interesting...
Glad to see others feeling the same. Congrats and Good luck!

Unfortunately, I can't have senioritis at all this year.:rolleyes: An acceptance to one of my top choices would hinge on my getting a 3.7 this year (no less! Canadian schools are picky with their cutoffs).:thumbdown: And with a full courseload of all 300-level courses, except A&P (which isn't exactly a walk in the park either, with all that info), I can't exactly rely on my intelligence alone in getting me that 3.7.

*sigh*

Feels good to be graduating in December. :cool: Except I haven't been accepted anywhere yet!! :(

Oh, theres always cougars. Why do you think I want to go into plastics? Rawr.

I understand where you are coming from. Being accepted to med school is such a huge goal that it kind of takes over your life. But now that you have your acceptance in hand, there is an emptiness in your life. I would suggest that you try to find other areas of your life that you can focus on and set goals toward. It might be a long year otherwise.