Post acceptance - things to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndicate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got into med school recently and I'm wondering what do people do between getting their acceptance letter and matriculating? Should I still continue with my clubs and keep up a high GPA or does it not really matter anymore?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. This is my first time posting.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got into med school recently and I'm wondering what do people do between getting their acceptance letter and matriculating? Should I still continue with my clubs and keep up a high GPA or does it not really matter anymore?

Gpa absolutely matters....nothing else does. Relax and quit any extra junk that you don't enjoy....you made it!

Gpa absolutely matters....nothing else does. Relax and quit any extra junk that you don't enjoy....you made it!
Thank you for your quick response! I had a 3.8 gpa when I applied in June. So do you mean that I have to keep up my 3.8 in order to maintain the acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your quick response! I had a 3.8 gpa when I applied in June. So do you mean that I have to keep up my 3.8 in order to maintain the acceptance?
You don't necessarily need to keep it at a 3.8 but in general the classes you are taking in your final year are hopefully things you enjoy/ will help you in medical school. Definitely relax and take it easy but don't completely tank lol

Prob not that high but just don't go stupid. My DO school requires a post acceptance gpa of 3.2 and nothing less than a C.

Basically said, keep doing well in class.....which is why being is 347 clubs is no longer benefical

disregard females, acquire currency. :naughty:

jk, keep on doing things/activities you love that got you to this point. Maybe even explore EC that would otherwise never had the chance to because you were juggling 300 premed related clubs. I would've been so much more involved with my school's outdoors club had I had more time for example.

travel if you can

I biked up the coast of California over the course of a month just before med school and it was awesome.

After my recent acceptance I decided to throw myself into increasing my Spanish skills full force before I don't have time to in med school. I am sure there is some project or hobby like this you have had on the back burner.

Get your credit report, make sure you can get loans.

Get your credit report, make sure you can get loans.

Almost everyone qualifies for loans, unless you've destroyed your credit recently by declaring bankruptcy or such.

Credit reports are also not that useful for determining your credit worthiness, unless you opt for a credit score.

That said, you should definitely take advantage of your free annual credit reports to make sure everything is in order and that nothing is out of the ordinary. Just make sure you use the official government site that is actually free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost everyone qualifies for loans, unless you've destroyed your credit recently by declaring bankruptcy or such.

Credit reports are also not that useful for determining your credit worthiness, unless you opt for a credit score.

That said, you should definitely take advantage of your free annual credit reports to make sure everything is in order and that nothing is out of the ordinary. Just make sure you use the official government site that is actually free.

Credit karma offers a credit score based on transunion for free.

After my recent acceptance I decided to throw myself into increasing my Spanish skills full force before I don't have time to in med school. I am sure there is some project or hobby like this you have had on the back burner.
What did you do to improve your Spanish? I'd love to get my skills back to where they were a few years ago.

Yeah, but Grad PLUS loans aren't based on FICO. They're based on a set of criteria, including recent delinquencies and items sent to collection.

What did you do to improve your Spanish? I'd love to get my skills back to where they were a few years ago.
I am in the process of improving. The two sites I have started using are Duolingo and Memrise. See below for a link to a thread in which lots of forumers gave me advice on how to improve my skills.

Spanish Self-Study Thread

Drink. Lots.

Reactions: 1 user

PS4.

Check to see what immunizations and titers you will need before matriculation. Get caught up if you're behind.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS. The process of getting immunization documentation and submitting it to schools properly can take a LONG time. Get all of your ducks in a row for EVERY school you're considering matriculating to with regard to immunizations, and when it comes time to upload your immunization requirements you'll be ahead of the game.

Can't emphasize it enough. Do this.

Maintain your grades to the B level (anything more is a waste). Quit any clubs you don't enjoy. Drink a lot, play video games, spend time with family and friends.

I currently work in a peds clinic. Do you think what I was required to have done to work this job will be sufficient for or have substantial overlap with med school requirements?
Schools vary in their requirements. Some require titers for nearly everything, not just varicella and Hep B. I expect most will require a new (possibly two-step) PPD done soon before matriculation.

Even if your school is lenient on requirements, it's important to know that if you want to do an away rotation 4th year, you will have to comply with that school's policy also.

Respectfully disagree. I'm a Playstation guy, but I've never had any qualms playing my friends' 360s. However, the Xbox One just ruined itself for me with the whole DRM fiasco and everything that went on.
Well, given that they changed it, how do you feel about X1 in its current form? Personally, I didn't mind the DRM at all because I feel it's the future of gaming - only a matter of time (a la Steam). Also, I'm a shooters fan, which is why I loathe the Playstation controller. We'll see about DS4, but I'm still skeptical of the symmetrical analog sticks. At the end of the day I want to be able to play Titanfall and Halo.