post-bac confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhillyBoyInTN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get a B.S. from one school, then go back to a school I attended prior to do a few class do-overs and complete the pre-reqs, do these classes count toward my cumulative undergrad GPA or will they be considered post-bac and factored differently? Please excuse the horrible run-on sentence and thanks in advance for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

So long as they're undergrad courses, they get factored into your undergrad GPA. That's the advantage of doing a post-bac (formal or informal) over a SMP (where you get a degree, but grades don't count towards your undergrad GPA).

On your AMCAS, your post-bacc GPA will be by itself on a new line after your senior year. As PinkIvy said, that GPA will also affect your total undergrad BCPM GPA and overall GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take some undergrad courses after graduation because they are pre-reqs that you didn't take, will that count towards your uGPA if it is not a structured post-bac plan?

What about if you have 2 bachelor's degrees? Do they both combine to make a single uGPA?

If you take some undergrad courses after graduation because they are pre-reqs that you didn't take, will that count towards your uGPA if it is not a structured post-bac plan?

What about if you have 2 bachelor's degrees? Do they both combine to make a single uGPA?
Yes to both questions.

Yup,

Here is the layout that you can expect...

(1st Degree)

Freshman Year ---- BCMP GPA ---- Cumm GPA for that year
Soph Year ---------BCMP GPA ---- Cumm GPA for that year
Junior Year --------BCMP GPA ---- Cumm GPA for that year
Senior Year -------BCMP GPA -----Cumm GPA for that year
Postbacc *--------BCMP GPA -----Cumm GPA for that year(s)
Cumm undergrad ---BCMP GPA ----total Cumm GPA (includes postbacc)

*The postbacc GPA includes ALL undergrad courses beyond your 1st degree regardless of whether you took them for fun or towards a second or third degree....

Edit: They also list an AO (all other) GPA per year next to the BCMP GPA

Last edited:
Thanks for helping out, everybody. This is very confusing for me because I have 2 bachelor's, 1 master's and 1 doctorate.

What? Now I'm confused...

If you wanted to improve your GPA in the quickest way possible (1 year) without taking additional undergrad classes to make it up, would taking a SMP or post-bach help so only that single year would be counted for GPA?

What? Now I'm confused...

If you wanted to improve your GPA in the quickest way possible (1 year) without taking additional undergrad classes to make it up, would taking a SMP or post-bach help so only that single year would be counted for GPA?

No. SMP (special masters program) classes are graduate classes so they do not affect your undergrad gpa. They can however be counted towards your science gpa. I think it would be difficult to improve your undergrad gpa significantly in just one year, but you would need to take post bac undergrad level classes for that.

No. SMP (special masters program) classes are graduate classes so they do not affect your undergrad gpa. They can however be counted towards your science gpa. I think it would be difficult to improve your undergrad gpa significantly in just one year, but you would need to take post bac undergrad level classes for that.

I was under the impression that taking one (either the SMP or post-bac) would allow you to have your GPA based on just on that program. Not that your undergrad GPA is completely disregarded, but that would give you the ability to say my undergrad GPA is :(, but my (program's) GPA is :).