Post-Bac in Boston area/ BU Met College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sharpeleven

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I enjoyed reading the info in the Post Bac thread below from Sophie, and it has raised a few questions that I wonder if someone can help me with.

My main question is what can anyone tell me about Boston University's Metropolitan College for Post Bac? What kind of reputation does it have? It seems that they hold different classes from the BU undergrads, which makes me think Med School adcoms would look down on it. There -is- a way you can register for -some- College of Arts & Sciences classes each semester, but I believe it isn't possible to take every pre-req outside of the Met College.

What choice would you make between Harvard Extension and the BU Met College?

The next question is what are some of the best Post Bac Premed options in the Boston area? I'm aware of Tufts, Wellesley, UMass, and Brandeis. Are these the top programs?

Thank you for any opinions or insights!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'd talk to a few of the Adcoms around town at Tufts, BU, UMass and Harvard - and ask them if they look down on Met COllege vs. regular BU classes.

Odds are BU offers their regular classes at night - so it might be tough to argue that you took Met College classes because they fit your schedule.

I don't think it matters to med schools outside of Boston - because they probably won't know what Metropolitan College actually is - they'll just see it as a part of BU. Not sure though.

I think BU lets you register as a Special student - provided you have a bachelor's. I honestly think though that if you are sizing up a post-bacc year - it might be good to look into the more established ones with connections to med school - like Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Columbia etc. You'd have to leave Boston - but you'll be in the library all day and nigth so it won't matter where in the US you are! good luck

Though I didn't do the post-bac program at Wellesley, I did go there for undergrad and can vouch for the fact that the pre-med courses are great. I am unaware of exactly how the post-bac program works, but I always had at least one post-bac scholar in my pre-med classes, and they were always very happy with their choice. All pre-med classes are capped at 32 people, so you get a lot of one-on-one attention from both professors and lab instructors (labs are no bigger than 16), and professors are almost always available for questions at any time.