Quantcast

Post-Bac IRTA State of Residency in Med School Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameStitch

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everyone,

For those of you that have experience with the NIH Post-Bac IRTA position and living in DC...

I found a place in DC but it seems the DMV is really strict about registering your vehicle in DC and getting a DC license to park there, since the streets are zoned. Once I do all of that, am I considered a permanent DC resident?

I submitted my AMCAS application with my NJ address (lived in NJ my whole life, including undergrad). Will I need to inform them of my move by changing my mailing address but not my permanent one? Or when it comes down to establishing NJ residency do I have whoever coordinates these things for IRTAs state that I was there as a trainee and not a permanent resident? I really don't want to be considered out of state by schools like RWJ and NJMS.

I'm a little confused and haven't started my position yet, so I figured I would post here for the IRTAs who may be lurking around. I also saw some other threads on this, but didn't see any outcomes posted. Thanks for reading!

Lost In Transcription

reports of my assimilation are greatly exaggerated
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For those of you that have experience with the NIH Post-Bac IRTA position and living in DC...

I found a place in DC but it seems the DMV is really strict about registering your vehicle in DC and getting a DC license to park there, since the streets are zoned. Once I do all of that, am I considered a permanent DC resident?

I submitted my AMCAS application with my NJ address (lived in NJ my whole life, including undergrad). Will I need to inform them of my move by changing my mailing address but not my permanent one? Or when it comes down to establishing NJ residency do I have whoever coordinates these things for IRTAs state that I was there as a trainee and not a permanent resident? I really don't want to be considered out of state by schools like RWJ and NJMS.

I'm a little confused and haven't started my position yet, so I figured I would post here for the IRTAs who may be lurking around. I also saw some other threads on this, but didn't see any outcomes posted. Thanks for reading!
I counted mine as Maryland simply because I started in October...

It is pretty confusing to be honest.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
residency will be by tax records; sounds like you are NJ. DMV shouldnt have anything to do with it

MyNameStitch

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses! I suppose I can always show my voter registration and parental tax records if I need to. Perhaps I'll come back to this thread when/if I actually get into medical school.