• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

dreamaloud

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2003
Status (Visible)
For those of you who have done this, can you elaborate on the experience?

My specific question is about the actual research: is it all bench or can you do clinical research instead?

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by dreamaloud
For those of you who have done this, can you elaborate on the experience?

My specific question is about the actual research: is it all bench or can you do clinical research instead?

It is up to you. Just look for the right program for your interests. Even in the same program you could switch between the two if your PI is flexible.

nykka3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2003
los angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I did the post-bach IRTA from 1998-2000 at NIDCD in Rockville, MD. It was basic science bench work. However, i was given the opportunity to shadow clinicians in Bldg. 10 (bethesda,md). at that time, i was under the impression that if i wanted hands on clinical experience i had to be a med student( or the equiv.) or already have my MD. I did gain a lot from the experience. I was first author on one publ. and received authorship on two other publ.. I am considering doing something similiar during my 1st and 2nd year of med school.

W222

2K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
I did an IRTA fellowship for two years and thought it was a great experience. I worked on a basic science project relating to a clinical problem. There were plenty of clinical talks and grand rounds. My boss also let me go to grand rounds with the residents/fellows and I was allowed to see some patients with really obscure problems, which was really interesting. I worked in building 10 on the main campus and I would recommend looking here first. The other campuses are isolated from anything clinical. Building 10 is the largest research hospital in the world, also the largest brick building in the world (interesting fact). I am a total dork so I loved the fact that I could go to talks and lectures all the time. I also loved the fact that on occasion I would see a Nobel laureate or world famous scientist in the halls. Saw somewhere around 5 Nobel laureates speak while I was there. Stood next to Tommy Tompson in an elevator surrounded by Secret Service. I also got to work under two really big scientists, which was amazing becuase they can really show you how to think about a problem. All in all, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I got lucky because I had my choice of positions to go to, others I know were not as happy and didn't like their bosses or projects. As far as research goes I made alot of headway on my project and I should have a paper out in the next year from my work(first author).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.