Post-Bac Linkage to Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WYNN86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good postbac program that links to a Dental School?

I know Tufts have one but after visiting and speaking with some staff I don't think it's the right place for me? I need the postbac to get my science pre-req's as opposed to needing to improve my GPA etc. I really want to eliminate the glide year but haven't had much luck searching the forums, most of the post-bac links are with Med schools as opposed to Dental.

If there is a similar thread apolgies and please direct me to it!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to know about this as well. I applied to about ten post bac programs and the only two that asked what field you were looking into was Harvard Extension and Maryland. Harvard actually had check boxes for Dental, Medical, Nursing etc. Do you think they accept a certian amount from each field to enter? If there are others I would like to know about them.

columbia's program has linkage to at least two dental school, robert wood johnson and umdnj

Members don't see this ad :)
UConn. It may not say it explicitly on the UConn post-bac program website, but someone in the program last year did link to the UConn dental school. Since UConn is one of the top dental schools, it's a great way to have an easy in there...definitely check it out.

Thanks guys for the replies :D

Anyone else know of anywhere?

Anyone set up their own linkage or knows somebody who has?

At a Tufts info session I got told it is sometimes possible but as yet I haven't found anyone whos even tried yet alone succeeded.:confused:

Tufts generally only accepts one person per year for the dental linkage. I was the one who got accepted last year, but I ended up turning it down. I have nothing but great things to say about everyone I met in the process, but it just wasn't the right thing for me at the time. I would highly recommend going after it if you are a very strong candidate.

Message Deleted by User

Last edited:
cheer and WYNN,

I can't say the exact stats they are looking for. I can say what worked for me.

-3.8 GPA from a top 10 school with serious, quantitative coursework.

-A's in gen chem, a biology research course, and several calc classes.

-Evidence of a very clear and sensible career change into dentistry. In my case, I was doing very well and was on a trajectory to make more money than I will make as a dentist. That shows that I REALLY want to be a dentist for the right reasons. It's not about money or prestige, it's an understanding and love for what dentists do. Dentistry is a very good career fit for my personality, and I am passionate about it in a way that cannot be faked in an interview.

I hope this helps.

The folks at Tufts and Tufts Dental are really great to work with. I had a very smooth interview process, and they really seemed like great people.

University of Florida and University of North Florida have a linked program.
The University of North Florida and the University of Florida have agreed to offer a combined, seven-year program in which a student earns a B.S. degree in biology from UNF and a D.M.D. degree from UF. College freshmen are eligible to apply to the Honors Combined BS/ DMD Program in Dentistry if they have:

• at least two full time semesters (not including summer semesters) completed at UNF. At least two college level science courses must be completed, with a minimum overall GPA of 3.75/4.0 and a science GPA of no less than 3.5/4.0. Acceptable science courses include general biology, general chemistry, and general physics courses designed for science and pre-professional students. AP, IB and/or dual enrollment credit for science courses is not accepted for this program.

• an overall unweighted high school GPA of no less than 3.8/4.0.
a total SAT score of at least 1310, or an ACT score of at least 29.

• an unweighted high school science GPA of at least 3.5/4.0, with courses completed in Biology and Chemistry.

• demonstrated working knowledge of and commitment to a career in dentistry as evidenced by prior exposure to the profession.

• a formal interview with members of the UF College of Dentistry Admissions Committee.

I think the question was about post bacc programs, not undergrad degrees.

Why are you bumping a 26-month old thread?

Why not make a new thread seen as most of this info is prob not relevant anymore