Post-bac LoRs - how to check in on them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unrgrad2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post! I'm super anxious about my post-bac application and just seeking some guidance from those of you who understand what it's like to ask for a letter of recommendation. I don't really closely know any other pre-Meds, so the people in my life I'm talking to about all of this don't have the same perspective and it worries me with taking their advice. I've read blog posts and articles to seek help here too, but I just want some personalized insight!

TLDR: Is it pushy to check in on my LoR on the application due date if 2 of my letter writers confirmed 4 days-1 week in advance that they were working on them?

Full story: For the program I'm applying to, you need 3 letters of recommendation: one from a healthcare provider, one from academics, one community/other. My academic has already been submitted by my professor last month. I requested all of the letters around 12/6, and the application due date is 1/12 at 11:59pm. The two letters I'm waiting on are from my supervisor at work, and an NP I shadowed from Thanksgiving-current for about 24 hrs/wk.

On Sunday of last week (1 week till deadline), I checked in with my work supervisor. He said he's started the letter, he asked for a little more guidance, and confirmed the deadline with me because he admitted he tends to stress over writing and might take his time up until the deadline. The application is due tomorrow, still no submittal. I see him tomorrow at work, probably around 2pm -- I think it's best to check with him there rather than via email beforehand, and it's enough time for him to finish it and submit. Just wondering if I'm misguided in thinking that?

Now, for NP, I talked to her on Wednesday just to offer help if she needed it and lightly check that she didn't forget or anything. She said she had my letter halfway done and was working on it. Again, it's 1 day before submission and no letter. We've texted to arrange shadowing and everything, should I shoot her a text tomorrow? I'm really anxious about coming off as pushy or bothering her as she's been great to me and she's busy, has a family while working in primary care. I know she charts at night, so I'm worried I'll text her in the AM when she's fully intending to submit it during charting at night or something. Anyone have a good sample text or guidance on when I should do this? I think it'd be weird to message her after 5pm.

Thanks for reading this novel! I'm just concerned about not checking in to avoid bothering someone and having my application thrown out because of it. My professor was super quick with submitting so I didn't expect for this to become so last-minute. :/

Members don't see this ad.

It’s alright to send an email confirming the deadline and checking in to see if they need any additional information from you.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s alright to send an email confirming the deadline and checking in to see if they need any additional information from you.

NP just texted me letting me know she submitted, about an hour after I was freaking out and writing this. Phew! I will send an email to the last letter writer though. Thanks for your insight!