DIY or Formal Post-Bacc

• Total voters
Aug 28, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Medical Student, Psychologist, DO/PhD Student
Hello All! I'm a recent graduate of the George Washington University with a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. I graduated with a 2.8 GPA, definitely disappointing, but I had a lot going on personally. In any case, I'm now interested in pursuing a career in psychiatry and want to know what'd I'd have to do to get into a good formal career changing post-bacc program, or whether I should just go the DIY route.

Experience- I'm currently a Patient Care Coordinator for a mental health clinic and I'm also a Weekend Residential Counselor for a non-profit that works with intellectually disabled people. I also volunteered in a call center for the National Alliance on Mental Health for 3 months

Academic Stats: 2.8 Psych GPA, SAT score: 1960, GRE: Not Yet Taken, MCAT: Not Yet Taken

I'm also in the process of getting CPR certified and Med Tech certified for my job.

What more can I do to become competitive? And do I have a chance at a formal post-bacc or should I stick to the DIY route?

Please and thank you for your advice!!!! :)

Aug 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm in a similar position to you with similar stats. Right now, I decided to go with the DIY postbac option to get my cGPA in range and my sGPA above 3.5 (didn't take many sciences in undergrad). I'm doing my DIY courses at Harvard Extension. My goal is to eventually apply to a structured postbac or SMP program to make my application more competitive. Most programs seem to require above a 3.0 cGPA from what I've read, which is why I decided to go DIY and then SMP/postbac.

In short, I'd go DIY for GPA repair to start and then apply to relevant SMP or postbac programs to help make you more competitive. I hope this was at least somewhat useful.

Sep 3, 2015
Outer Gates
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know that's there's much benefit in doing a formal post bacc unless they have connections/cooperation a with med schools and/or can write a committee letter. I suppose many offer advice on PS, resume, etc...but most schools have a career resource center that could do so as well without the hefty price tag.
I'd say do DIY as much as possible.
What I've read in the post bacc "rules" is, once you're in, to get that committee letter you need to do all your required classes there, plus various other requirements.