Post Bac or DIY for High GPA Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wickedgenius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First thread... Nervous. Ok here it goes.

I was on the path to applying to Ph.D programs in Neuropsychology, mind you, I was pre-med before I decided for Graduate school.

Recently I decided that medicine is really what I love.. btw: I'm 29.

I finished taking Bio 1 & 2 got a B- in both. General Chem 1 & 2, got an A and A-, Anatomy and Physiology and got an A- & A. Did pre-cal and stats and got an A and A-.

My graduating gpa is 3.98, added to that three research projects (Yea I've been busy):eek:

So.. I am now just so dizzy looking at whether I should go through a post-bac or doing it myself, and btw: I have quite a ton of professors willing to write excellent letters of recommendation for me (yes, science and psychology professors):love:.

I am deciding between NYU, Columbia, Rutgers, Fordham, and City College's Post Bacc programs, or going to a community or 4 year CUNY school to finish taking Orgo and Physics 1 & 2, and perhaps an extra Bio class. :scared:

Any thoughts on what I should do based on my credentials? HELP!!!!!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

First thread... Nervous. Ok here it goes.

I was on the path to applying to Ph.D programs in Neuropsychology, mind you, I was pre-med before I decided for Graduate school.

Recently I decided that medicine is really what I love.. btw: I'm 29.

I finished taking Bio 1 & 2 got a B- in both. General Chem 1 & 2, got an A and A-, Anatomy and Physiology and got an A- & A. Did pre-cal and stats and got an A and A-.

My graduating gpa is 3.98, added to that three research projects (Yea I've been busy):eek:

So.. I am now just so dizzy looking at whether I should go through a post-bac or doing it myself, and btw: I have quite a ton of professors willing to write excellent letters of recommendation for me (yes, science and psychology professors):love:.

I am deciding between NYU, Columbia, Rutgers, Fordham, and City College's Post Bacc programs, or going to a community or 4 year CUNY school to finish taking Orgo and Physics 1 & 2, and perhaps an extra Bio class. :scared:

Any thoughts on what I should do based on my credentials? HELP!!!!!:xf:

Just curious, how did you graduate with a 3.98 GPA when you had two B-'s and a few A-'s? That isn't really possible

I went to two schools. When I transferred into the second one, I had a clean slate again. The school I graduated to, took all the credits, and the classes I took at the transferred school, I scored an A in all of them except one where I got an A-

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to two schools. When I transferred into the second one, I had a clean slate again. The school I graduated to, took all the credits, and the classes I took at the transferred school, I scored an A in all of them except one where I got an A-
unfortunately, when you apply to medical schools through AMCAS, your GPA won't end up being a 3.98 as you will have to include every grade you earned at the 1st school. AMCAS will take the grades from both the 1st school and the 2nd school and count both of them when calculating your GPA

I was told that, but adding the other courses in, my GPA will probably still float around a 3.7.

I was told that, but adding the other courses in, my GPA will probably still float around a 3.7.
that's great, you definitely don't need any GPA repair, so it really depends how much you want to spend. I would not recommend taking Physics and Orgo at a community college. Yes, there are people who have gotten in MD and took their pre-reqs at a community college, but it's definitely not preferable. It really doesn't matter where you take these courses as long as it's a 4 year school. Columbia has a great post-bacc program but it's expensive. If you can afford it then go for it, but if you want to save money don't worry about taking these classes at a CUNY

Thanks! I actually started at a community college, really because I was one of those "too cool for school" types. I really enjoyed the CC I went to, and since I knew everyone in the Science department, thought it was a good idea to go back there to finish things up. Getting mixed messages about how it looks to get credits from a CC versus a 4 year.. Some say it doesn't matter, others say it does..:smack:

Thanks! I actually started at a community college, really because I was one of those "too cool for school" types. I really enjoyed the CC I went to, and since I knew everyone in the Science department, thought it was a good idea to go back there to finish things up. Getting mixed messages about how it looks to get credits from a CC versus a 4 year.. Some say it doesn't matter, others say it does..:smack:
some people say it will kill your chances, which definitely isn't true. You will find people on SDN who did all their pre-reqs at a CC and still got into MD schools. in your case, since you are a post-bacc/nontrad student I think you will have more leeway if you really want to go take those courses at your CC. if you get asked about it, you can just say you did that to save money. personally I know people who took orgo and physics over the summer at CC and have gotten into med school, but they all had strong MCAT scores to overcompensate. it also depends on the med schools you apply to because some really prefer you not take any pre-reqs at a CC and others seem to not care. basically it isn't preferable, but it definitely won't kill your chances

Thanks! I really appreciate your advice. I have a few months to decide, but it does get overwhelming with all of the options or (lack of). I don't owe student loans and really want to keep it that way, but that probably won't be possible now.+pity+