Quantcast

Post bac or SMP for low GPA/high MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickOwens

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Currently a senior, didn't do so hot freshman and sophomore year and will probably end up with a ~3.4 cgpa and 3.25 sgpa with an upward trend. I'm planning on taking a gap year or two to make up for my gpa with either a traditional masters, academic enhancer post bac, or SMP. Which would you advise for me?
Note: I have spent a good amount of time scouring SDN and reddit, just hoping to get some feedback on my specific situation.
My stats:
Californian, Asian male
516 mcat
800+ hours research w/ potential pub
700+ hours at school newspaper w/ editor position for over a year
450 hours volunteering teaching music to kids with special needs w/ leadership position
Will have ~150 hours volunteering at a hospital by graduation, planning to continue during gap year
Haven't gotten around to shadowing yet

My list so far is:
KGI Keck
UCSD
Drexel @ Sacramento
Touro CA
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
BU MAMS
Rutgers (both Newark and Piscataway)
Tufts

Last edited:

monty55

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think an SMP would be best in your case. You did well on the MCAT, so its not like you need a post-bacc to get the basics down before taking it. I think you just need to prove to adcoms that you can handle a medical school curriculum and an SMP is the easiest way to do that. I would add Georgetown and University of Cincinnati to your list of SMPs. They are true SMPs (you take classes along with medical students - this is what you really want).