Post Bac Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FENDERGUITARMAN

Custom User Title
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with my degree in Biology but didn't do to stellar on the MCAT. It is because of the way my pre-med career started off. I had a C in physics 1 and gen chem 1 and orgo 1 but since that point have done very well. I was wondering if I should do a post bac program to improve my grades and knowledge in the areas where I have done poorly, or should I just take the courses over again?

Members don't see this ad.

well, taking the courses again is essentially going to be a post-bac anyway.

why are you taking classes if the MCAT is your weakness? is your GPA bad too?

I just graduated with my degree in Biology but didn't do to stellar on the MCAT. It is because of the way my pre-med career started off. I had a C in physics 1 and gen chem 1 and orgo 1 but since that point have done very well. I was wondering if I should do a post bac program to improve my grades and knowledge in the areas where I have done poorly, or should I just take the courses over again?
If your GPA is low like 3.4 or below then you might consider it, but I wouldnt take the classes just for the sake of the MCAT...just study on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to my grades in GCHEM ORGO1 and Physics 1 my science GPA is around a 3.4. This is why I feel I should retake these courses.

how bad is your MCAT, if you don't mind sharing?

you could always retake those courses if you wanted to. a test prep course might be a better solution. GPAs are hard to bring up, especially once you've taken the 120+ hours needed to get a Bachelors. MCATs can be much easier to bring up, depending on where you're starting out.

Due to my grades in GCHEM ORGO1 and Physics 1 my science GPA is around a 3.4. This is why I feel I should retake these courses.

Thats fine but what they are trying to tell you is that doing well in those classes will not effect your MCAT score much, if any. Preparing for the MCAT is an entirely separate ordeal that you should spend a month at the least studying for vigorously.