post bac science course - comm college or state school?

jav316

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Status
hello,
i'm hoping someone can help me and appreciate any ideas. i'm trying to plan out what courses to take this summer. would it be better to take 2 bio courses at a community college in the evenings or 1-2 courses at a state school. i'm thinking of taking anat and phys 2 and basics of cell biology at the communty college. (please note the cell biology is not a high level; the course description indicates "Upon completion, students should be able to demonstrate preparedness for college-level biology courses." - is it even worth it for me to take this course? - i have a BS degree in biological technology). at the state school, i was thinking of doing cell biology and/or evolution.

the problem with taking the courses at a state school is that the courses are offered only during the day and i would have to try to work out an arrangement of working part-time or taking a leave of absence from my job and waitress part-time to cover living expenses. the summer courses at the state school are roughly one month in length, so it is not very long. the class meets for 1.5 hours every day plus a lab one day a week. however, i don't know that i am able to work out an arrangment and may have to look for a new job after the course is completed (which may not be very difficult as I have experience in my field and the job market in my area is pretty good now - i've received two job offers since jan that i have turned down). i'll be taking a financial hit if i do this though. my company would probably pay for the comm college, but if i leave them or go part-time, i may not receive the tuition reimbursment for state school tuition (which is also obviously higher than comm college).

also, taking classes at the community college would probably boost my gpa more. i've taken two science courses at community college (physics in college and anat and phys last semester). i've received As both time. I think I received 1 A in a science course while attending undergrad full-time. however, the state school i would be taking a course in now is less competitive than the college i graduated from.

any ideas or suggestions??
thanks!!

Elmer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
jav316 said:
hello,
i'm hoping someone can help me and appreciate any ideas. i'm trying to plan out what courses to take this summer. would it be better to take 2 bio courses at a community college in the evenings or 1-2 courses at a state school. i'm thinking of taking anat and phys 2 and basics of cell biology at the communty college. (please note the cell biology is not a high level; the course description indicates "Upon completion, students should be able to demonstrate preparedness for college-level biology courses." - is it even worth it for me to take this course? - i have a BS degree in biological technology). at the state school, i was thinking of doing cell biology and/or evolution.

the problem with taking the courses at a state school is that the courses are offered only during the day and i would have to try to work out an arrangement of working part-time or taking a leave of absence from my job and waitress part-time to cover living expenses. the summer courses at the state school are roughly one month in length, so it is not very long. the class meets for 1.5 hours every day plus a lab one day a week. however, i don't know that i am able to work out an arrangment and may have to look for a new job after the course is completed (which may not be very difficult as I have experience in my field and the job market in my area is pretty good now - i've received two job offers since jan that i have turned down). i'll be taking a financial hit if i do this though. my company would probably pay for the comm college, but if i leave them or go part-time, i may not receive the tuition reimbursment for state school tuition (which is also obviously higher than comm college).

also, taking classes at the community college would probably boost my gpa more. i've taken two science courses at community college (physics in college and anat and phys last semester). i've received As both time. I think I received 1 A in a science course while attending undergrad full-time. however, the state school i would be taking a course in now is less competitive than the college i graduated from.

any ideas or suggestions??
thanks!!
I don't think any adcom will mind community college for continuing education courses and you have a job that keeps you from attending a four year college. Is your GPA low? Do you believe you are learning as much at the CC?

lemurlover

All night dancer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
Northern beachy california
Status
i went to community colleges for most of my premed classes. i got into two d.o. schools. first i did my undergrad in liberal arts at a fancy private school. i don't think it's worth the stress of rearranging your work and bein financially up a creek just to have a different college name on the papers. just my $0.02.

OP
J

jav316

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Status
thanks for your replies! i am taking courses to pick up my gpa - (it is now approximately 3.1). to be honest i spent much less time studying and learning the material and did well in the comm college than i did when i got a B or a C in my undergrad. my undergrad school was competitive - i hope the adcoms will account for that when going over my applications. regarding whether or not i learned more, i definitely spent more time in my undergrad with the materials and i also feel that there were more tools for students (i.e., course notes and a website).
i also spoke with an adcomms rep today after posting this and she said as long as its accredited, its fine. i'm just afraid the adcomms would be more impressed with an A from a state than from a cc.
thanks,
do you think the entry level cell biology is worthwhile to do in my position?

Sainttpk

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Status
hello

I think the OP raises an interesting issue. I dont see whats so bad about CC courses as long as you do well in them. Now I am not going to get deep into the whole debate of whether CC courses are better then univeristy courses. I will say this, I DONT SEE any difference in my state. In fact I would venture to say that some univeristy science courses are much easier, simply because of the fact that their are more students, and alot of the exams are multiple choice. The professor does not have time to take into account individual students.

Now I am only speaking for my state, and I know that most west coast states have pretty good community colleges, I cannot speak for other places. I have to take most of my post bacc courses at a CC because of the amount of debt that I incurred during law school. For one full year I pay the same price that one quarter costs at a 4 year school.

Just do well on the MCAT, and prove that you learned something. Enjoy!

OP
J

jav316

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Status
thanks for the post saintpat (that's one of my fav holidays btw :) )

one more question:

does anyone know how i can know if the college is accredited? the adcoms rep i spoke with told me it's fine to take courses at a comm college as long as it's accredited. this is what the college website says about accredition:

Durham Technical Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate’s degrees. The college is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges, and the following programs are accredited by national associations: the Dental Laboratory Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association; the Occupational Therapy Assistant program is accredited by the Accreditation Committee for Occupational Therapy Education; the Opticianry program is accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation; and the Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Therapy. In addition, the Pharmacy Technology program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs

Does this mean that its only accredited in the south?
I will call the school in te morning, but i was wondering if anyone else looked into this and could help.

Thanks!!

redwings54

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Hey Jav316, seems like we are in pretty much the same boat. I went to a ultra compettive undergrad and ended up with a 3.05 GPA. Now I am done, I need to either take classes at my CC or travel down to Boston, 1.5 hrs each way, to take classes at Harvard Extension for 3X the cost of CC. What AdComs did you contact? Are you looking at DO schools only or Allo schools as well? I am from NH and there isnt much around here so I dont have that many options so I might get stuck going to CC schools. Let me know what you find out. Thanks.

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Visit site
Status
Podiatry Student
I'm in the same boat also. Nearest state school is 1.5 hrs away, but I have a community college (supposedly ranked top 15 in US) in my home town. I did all of my pre-med prereqs at the community college.
Now (I've been commuting to the state school...sometimes it takes me two or more hours each way depending on snow or traffic...it once took 3hrs 45 min to get home :rolleyes: ) Pre-med advisor says it's a must to take additional upper level science classes at the university level in order to prove myself. I got all A's in my prereqs, but according to him, adcoms won't consider those valid until I've taken the upper level science credits at the university.

I also have two little kids, so all the travel is a real pain and it becomes twice as expensive because I have to pay at the very least $50 a day just for before and afterschool care, since the university is so far away.

The funny thing is that I think that the quality of education (and the quality of the students) at the CC was superior to this 4 yr school that has a great rep. The students at the 4 yr seem so lazy in comparison; it's really kind of shocking.

Sainttpk

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Status
Yaaa trust me advisors dont know Crap!! it is shocking how lazy people are at 4 year schools. In reality undergrad is just an extension of highschool life, only you get to live on your own.