Post-bac/SMP for people w/ high GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these programs good for people who have a high gpa but low mcat? I am economically and educationally disadvantaged. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A high linkage SMP, like EVMS or Tulane ACP, might work to get you in. Honestly, though, you're probably best off just improving the MCAT score. How badly did you do and how many times have you taken it?

EVMS has a minimum MCAT requirement of 26 and Tulane ACP you have to be waitlisted at a medical school to get in. I have taken the MCAT once and scored below a 20. I studied for this test three times and postponed it twice because I felt I could study more for it. I also took a course for it. I am confident I can do well in medical school classes, but not sure about the MCAT. Any help or special programs you might have in mind would be greatly appreciated.

EVMS has a minimum MCAT requirement of 26 and Tulane ACP you have to be waitlisted at a medical school to get in. I have taken the MCAT once and scored below a 20. I studied for this test three times and postponed it twice because I felt I could study more for it. I also took a course for it. I am confident I can do well in medical school classes, but not sure about the MCAT. Any help or special programs you might have in mind would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you'll like hearing this, but the MCAT is just the first of about a dozen standardized exams between you and medical practice. Not being able to score well on standardized exams is a huge problem. I think you should absolutely use your disadvantaged status to your advantage, but be careful what you wish for: getting in to med school is the easy part.

An SMP would cost you $30k to $50k, easily, and would be an effort that's orthogonal to improving your MCAT score. If you're willing to put that kind of money and time into getting into med school, then put it toward your MCAT in the short term and your test-taking mettle in the long term.

In your shoes, I'd be looking long and hard at test-taking, and I'd make it a full time job to raise my MCAT score 15+ points. I'd find somebody who will do a cognitive analysis on me: do I have a learning disability? I'd look for a retired high school English teacher to coach me on verbal. I'd not only do a Kaplan/TPR classroom course, I'd do every problem in Examkrackers. I'd take EVERY practice exam that exists, whether it's truly representative or not. I'd get that English teacher to grade my essays for EVERY essay prompt on the AAMC site. Hell, if that English teacher has a room for rent I'd live with him/her.

I know you've already put in the time, but you didn't get the results, so something (maybe everything) has to change.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
so you have a high GPA..there are few programs out there that cater to economically disadvantaged students and offer a linkage to their medical schools providing that you maintain a certain GPA...

the two that come to mind are the Drexel Pathway to Medical School Program, and the Wake Forest Post Bac program...however, those two programs ur MCAT score needs to be at least a 21.

There is another program, it seems pretty low key and I do not have too much information about it. It is called the Southern Illinois MedPrep program. It caters to economically disadvantaged students...it is a two year program. Check out the website and see if it caters to you:
http://www.siumed.edu/medprep/

I don't think you'll like hearing this, but the MCAT is just the first of about a dozen standardized exams between you and medical practice. Not being able to score well on standardized exams is a huge problem. I think you should absolutely use your disadvantaged status to your advantage, but be careful what you wish for: getting in to med school is the easy part.

An SMP would cost you $30k to $50k, easily, and would be an effort that's orthogonal to improving your MCAT score. If you're willing to put that kind of money and time into getting into med school, then put it toward your MCAT in the short term and your test-taking mettle in the long term.

In your shoes, I'd be looking long and hard at test-taking, and I'd make it a full time job to raise my MCAT score 15+ points. I'd find somebody who will do a cognitive analysis on me: do I have a learning disability? I'd look for a retired high school English teacher to coach me on verbal. I'd not only do a Kaplan/TPR classroom course, I'd do every problem in Examkrackers. I'd take EVERY practice exam that exists, whether it's truly representative or not. I'd get that English teacher to grade my essays for EVERY essay prompt on the AAMC site. Hell, if that English teacher has a room for rent I'd live with him/her.

I know you've already put in the time, but you didn't get the results, so something (maybe everything) has to change.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

True, but I am generally good at taking tests (multiple choice or not) for the classes I have taken as an undergraduate. I just feel the MCAT is different in that you have to read a passage and then asnswer questions. It just seems like a totally different test to me.
Also What do you mean by "orthogonal?" :)

Last edited:
so you have a high GPA..there are few programs out there that cater to economically disadvantaged students and offer a linkage to their medical schools providing that you maintain a certain GPA...

the two that come to mind are the Drexel Pathway to Medical School Program, and the Wake Forest Post Bac program...however, those two programs ur MCAT score needs to be at least a 21.

There is another program, it seems pretty low key and I do not have too much information about it. It is called the Southern Illinois MedPrep program. It caters to economically disadvantaged students...it is a two year program. Check out the website and see if it caters to you:
http://www.siumed.edu/medprep/

Oh thanks a bunch for the response...these were the type of programs I was talking about...I will apply to these or ones that I qualify for and see what happens! If I get admitted to a linkage program, will it be better to go through the program or should I instead just study and retake the MCAT? Thank you very much!

...True, but I am generally good at taking tests (multiple choice or not) for the classes I have taken as an undergraduate. I just feel the MCAT is different in that you have to read a passage and then asnswer questions. It just seems like a totally different test to me.

It may be worth your while to look up the test format of the USMLE and the NBME shelf exams. These present a patient (in a passage) and you have a complex set of multiple choice answers.

Also What do you mean by "orthogonal?" :)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/orthogonal

adjective
1. not pertinent to the matter under consideration; "an issue extraneous to the debate"; "the price was immaterial"; "mentioned several impertinent facts before finally coming to the point" [syn: extraneous]

^Thanks a lot:)...any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Anyone know about the SIU MEDPREP program?

i was wondering the same... any help would be appreciated!

Hey! i have a very high GPA also... but a low mcat score... I think MEDPREP at Southern Illinois is the best option for me right now since it's for increasing MCAT scores... however, i am wondering is there a certain MCAT score needed to be considered for MEDPREP? and also do yall know any pros or cons about the program

The SIU Post Bac is exactly what it says... go research their website... and see if you fit their qualifications...One thing you want to look for in any Undergrad, Med School, Post Bac, etc... is if the environment is culturally sensitive. You have to look at their curriculum, student support service, number of years of working with disadvantaged students, etc. Be careful if you don't fit this status b/c you might be hindering your capabilities. If you have no doubt that medicine is what you want to do, then do what ever you have to do to get in, especially if you are considered disadvantaged. There are good reasons why some medical schools have pipeline programs for students of this status. Most undergrad pre-med programs are not designed to prepare you for the MCAT and certainly not detect any learning deficiencies. Medicine is a life long learning field. Yes, and there are more test! Take one step at a time and make sure you do your research into any future schools you are looking in to. That's where post bac programs come in....that is as long as you are willing to put in the dedication to your future. Nothing is given to you!!!

P.S. Prep companies are another alternative. However, they will not be able to address any deficiencies in your undergrad work. You MIGHT be able to benefit from their PRIVATE tutoring. Private prep companies I feel polish, but don't fix! Make your money work for you....especially if it is borrowed and you have to pay it back plus the interest.

^Thanks a lot:)...any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Read Gitms10 comment above....If you are set on a Post Bac Program...Right now you should be focusing on every effort on your OWN to improving your understanding of the topics tested on the MCAT... if you have the time. Your time at the Post Bac will be less stressful! You always have to be one, two, or maybe three steps ahead of your next step. Prior planning prevents poor performance...nothing is given to you easily. You mentioned that you scored below 20...that is not all that uncommon for some disadvantaged students.

Daily Practice:
For verbal practice you should get a hold of the Exam Kracker(E.K.) Verbal Reasoning & Mathematical Techniques and the EK 101 Verbal book as well. If you are scoring really low, their method is more practical than the Kaplan verbal method. You have to remember to use what ever method twhich gives you the most gain. Also, start reading complex scientific journal articles, complex newspaper articles, and complex forms of literature. Always be asking yourself the why questions....(for more info just google for effective reading strategies.) After doing so, write a short summary! This will help you be proficient at assimilating information.

For the Phy & Bio Sections of the test you have to get an intuition of what the MCAT is really testing you on. No one can teach you this! If you feel that you have missed out while in undergrad on understanding of the underlying concepts, then you MUST on your OWN get your college text books out and the prep company text books you have already and follow along the aamc website http://aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/start.htm. Download the pdf topics for each section and get your self familiar with what the MCAT will test you on. Study on & around the topics, but be careful no to go way in depth with what your college text books provides. Stay on point with the MCAT topics tested! Have you done this already??? You might be given some passage on the MCAT based upon an idea you have never heard of in undergrad. However, there will be an underlying concept that you should have understood. This will take some effort on your part, but trust me it will pay off. A post bac with a long history of experience and stats should be able to address any other weaknesses and enhance your learning & study skills required for a lifelong learning commitment as a doctor...they will help you improve your MCAT and get you into a U.S. Medical School while avoiding the Foreign Medical schools(which is a last of all resort....might even complex your problem.)