post-bac student chances/school selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitzi82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, would love any feedback that the group can give me. Here is my story...

I started college when I was 16, finished at 19 but didn't have the best grades. Studied psych and women studies with a total undergrad gpa of 3.14. 7 years later I'm finishing a post-bac program with an overall gpa of 3.97 (damned ochem 2). Don't have my MCAT scores yet but wanted to get some feedback before June.

Feel like I have good ECs and work experience. For the past 3 years have worked as a researcher at a Univ of CA medical school investigating resident/medical student education. Many posters/oral presentations at academic medical conferences, one publication, a couple more publications in preparation. Many years of part-time HIV prevention community education volunteering. Worked in a reproductive health clinic for a couple years. Former board member of a small AIDS service organization. Club leadership in college. Currently volunteering at an urban public hospital on primary care research.

So, what do you all think? CA schools? Here is my first list of schools. Suggestions? Especially for someone interested in urban underserved medicine?

UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC
Albany
Columbia
Cornell
Einstein
Mt Sinai
NYU
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Brown
GWU
Univ of Wash

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say without any MCAT scores. I would say you should add at least 5 more schools though, all of them with lower admissions numbers. RFU, SLU, Creighton, SUNYs, Tulane, etc.

Hi all, would love any feedback that the group can give me. Here is my story...

I started college when I was 16, finished at 19 but didn't have the best grades. Studied psych and women studies with a total undergrad gpa of 3.14. 7 years later I'm finishing a post-bac program with an overall gpa of 3.97 (damned ochem 2). Don't have my MCAT scores yet but wanted to get some feedback before June.

Feel like I have good ECs and work experience. For the past 3 years have worked as a researcher at a Univ of CA medical school investigating resident/medical student education. Many posters/oral presentations at academic medical conferences, one publication, a couple more publications in preparation. Many years of part-time HIV prevention community education volunteering. Worked in a reproductive health clinic for a couple years. Former board member of a small AIDS service organization. Club leadership in college. Currently volunteering at an urban public hospital on primary care research.

So, what do you all think? CA schools? Here is my first list of schools. Suggestions? Especially for someone interested in urban underserved medicine?

UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
USC
Albany
Columbia
Cornell
Einstein
Mt Sinai
NYU
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Brown
GWU
Univ of Wash

Thanks!

If you are really interested in urban medicine, I recommend University of Chicago. They have a really cool program for underserved medicine. Rush is also great for urban med (you do your rotations in Cook County), but it's very hard to get in from out of state. I also think Tulane is a great idea because they seem to like non-trads, serve New Orleans, and they are on the "safe" side. Howard is also a school that focuses on underserved populations.