Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tawantinsuyu

Hey guys,
So I was just surfing the internet, and I noticed something on wikipedia. It said that "Some applicants receive admittance to medical school through a "post-baccalaureate" pre-medical program." I thought a post bac program was something you did to just improve your GPA, and then you applied to med school after that? Do some schools offer programs where you are accepted but you must complete some post bac courses first? Can you explain this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
So I was just surfing the internet, and I noticed something on wikipedia. It said that "Some applicants receive admittance to medical school through a "post-baccalaureate" pre-medical program." I thought a post bac program was something you did to just improve your GPA, and then you applied to med school after that? Do some schools offer programs where you are accepted but you must complete some post bac courses first? Can you explain this?
I believe it is only the post bac programs that are linked to the medical school. I think you either have a better chance of getting accepted or a conditional acceptance based on your GPA and MCAT. I'm in a post bac program now just to boost my GPA. It was a lot cheaper than the ones linked to med schools but then again I don't have the benefit of a conditional acceptance.

No, post-bacc programs aren't just to boost GPA. I did one because I was a career changer who didn't have the science pre-reqs to apply to med school. Some post-bac programs are linked to med schools, while others aren't. There are a variety of options out there (well at least there was when I was in a post-bacc program in 2006 and I'm sure there are more programs now).

Hey guys,
Yes, some med schools have these separate post bacc programs that accept promising candidates. If the student performs well in their year at the school, taking medical school level courses, and with a good MCAT, they will increase their chances of getting into said medical school.

So yes, this is a little different from the DIY post baccs or the formal post baccs that are designed to boost the undergraduate gpa