Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batman_formerly lamd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good postbac programs to do out here in Los Angeles?

If i don't get in this cycle...i just want to boost my gpa (does postbac classes count as undergrad gpa)?

thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

grad schools grades are NOT part of your undergrad GPA. and most grad schools have grade inflation, meaning they only give A's and B's.
there is only one post-bacch program that i recommend. FinchUniv/CMS's Applied Physiology Master. get a 2.96GPA, and you get in. "guaranteed" to get you IN to med school if you talk to students/alumni, but of course, the administration cannot give you such comforts.
as for ones in cali, you should do a "post-bacch" search on the web, i found quite a few that way when i was looking last year.
but for reals. G'town, Columbia, and all them have post-bacch prg's. but none have the same success rates, and at least you can get a "non-academic, professional" Masters degree, (i.e., a piece of fancy paper).
good luck.

FU...CMS, do u need to take the mcats if u do that program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Scripps College (which is part of the Claremont Colleges just East of LA) has an excellent post-bac program. Scripps is a liberal Arts college, but their science faculty is terrific, and I definitely feel as if I benefited trendously from the small classes and personal attention. The post-bacs that I knew seemed very happy with the program, and all were accepted into med school on their first try. also, Scripps has some linkage programs set up with some med schools- which certainly sweatens the deal (I know that post-bacs with a 3.5 GPA in the program and at least 9's on each section of the MCAT were guaranteed acceptance into Temple)

Batman_former Lamd,
There are post-bacc programs that are aimed exactly at what you want to achieve. There are some for under-represented minorities, ppl with non-science background, ppl that want to change careers and more. In some of those programs, if you complete their post-bacc, you get conditional acceptance to their medical school. However, with everything good comes a price. Post-Bacc prg are really expensive (sometimes 1250 per credit course) but at least you get to medical school. Also, a lot of these programs don't offer financial aid since they aren't degree-bound. Some of the post-bacc you have to have certain qualification like med school (MCAT, 2.5 GPA sometimes 3.3, EC, research, experience).I am a rising junior and have 1 and half years before I apply, and looking at post-bacc as a back up plan b/c you can never be sure if you are accepted or not. I hope I do get accepted when I apply. I found a great site... <a href="http://www-hl.syr.edu/hpap/LISTPB.HTM" target="_blank">web page</a> it contain ALOT of useful information for your liken. Dude, I hope this really helps you make the right decision to reach your goal. Tell me what you think about the site. Good luck and GO TO YOUR DESTINY.

This site has ALL the post-bacc programs in the US I think and all the qualification and also links.
Doctora Foxy, I hope you stay in touch with the SDN family when you go off to med school. Once you have the SDN addiction its hard to withdraw from it :rolleyes: :D . Tell us what it is like. I had been reading your last post and all your trials and tribulation, which were inspirational. I hope that web site helped.

Foxy, i do not think it's absolutely required to take the MCATs to get IN to the AP prg. i've heard of a student (tho' you know how rumors go), that only took the GRE, got into the AP prg, and got into med school...all WITHOUT ever taking the MCATs. so go figure?