1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Post-Bac

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by charleb32, Dec 11, 2001.

1. charleb32

charleb32 Member
    7+ Year Member

I want to apply to some post-bac programs just in case I don't get into med school. The only problem is that most of them start in May and it is possible I will not have a final decision about Medical school at that point (esp. with AMCAS this year) I want to know what I should do, and if anyone knows of any good programs?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Charleb,

Those post-bacc programs that begin in May are generally for people who don't have any science background. They try and squeeze gen chem in in the summer, so that people can take orgo over the regular academic year. If you already have your pre-reqs complete, then you should be able to attend a post-bacc starting in the Fall, and decide on your own curriculum. If accepted, I know that Penn allows you to start post-bacc in the Fall term.

Hope this helps

4. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just FYI, all the post-bac programs I've seen are for people who have never taken the pre-reqs, not for those who want to take them again to augment their GPA. Of course, there could be exceptions to this; if nothing else, you could take courses independently of any organized program.

5. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Most post-bacc progs. are for people who have never taken the reqs. However, I know for certain that Penn has 2 different programs, one for beginners and another for those more advanced. Former: pre-health, Latter: Special Science. Both are geared towards helping people fulfill reqs/improve gpa or experience - so that they will be competitive candidates. I think NYU also takes people into their program who have already completed their basic requirements.

BU (through their masters' program) and MCP are other options for people who need to do more work before (re)applying.