post bacc advice for a finance major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dekyu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN! I'm new to these forums, but I really appreciate reading all of your insights and advice. I am a 23 year old Finance/Economics grad from NYU Stern, and I have worked one year in an investment bank (trading) before something non-work related came up and I quit. Happy to elaborate on that, but nothing detrimental was written on any permanent records. As it stands, I am unemployed and looking for jobs, as well as reevaluating where I want to be in five years.

My goal:
  • Get into the medical field as soon as possible, but between PA and medical school for now
Finance, and trading specifically, was definitely something interesting and every day was different, but I want to have a more purposeful job. I realize that trading really doesn't serve a higher purpose for society, and I had always admired my mom (who's a pathologist) and her dedication to medicine.

My science/medical background: basically nonexistent.
  • I took Biology, Chemistry, and Physics in high school, as well as attended the Pre-Medical Honors Program at UMDNJ (University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey)
  • I haven't taken any college-level science courses (used my AP science credits)
  • I'm considering taking the Certificate for Biotechnology offered by Columbia University because it offers Contemporary Biology, Genetics, and Chemistry, and I get a certificate upon completion
Outside of sciences, I have a 3.5/4.0 gpa, and I graduated in 2016. My business resume is pretty good, since I worked in a large, well-known investment bank. But I don't have any volunteer hours, and I would need to start from the ground up to get all my basic requirements fulfilled.

My questions are...
  • Would it be a good idea to take the Columbia Certificate program?
  • Does my background really bring anything unique to my applications? From a finance perspective, my work experience is pretty negligible and super niche.
  • Is my gpa too low to be considered for the higher-tier post-bacc programs?
  • Timing-wise, is it better to find a job, volunteer on the side, and then apply for the next cycle in a year? I would still need at least 2 more recommendation letters since one of my favorite professors passed away.
  • Finally, I'm a bit committed to my location (New England area), but money isn't too much of a concern. Ideally, I'd like to stay in New York City, but is this realistic?
Thank you all in advance for reading all of this, and for any advice you may give me. I'm super excited to have the chance to pursue something I've always been passionate about!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user