post bacc advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trunksvegeta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Since I graduated from college, I have taken a slew of various science and nonscience courses. However, these classes were not within a structured program, all of ones in which I chose. After graduation, all I did was fill out a form to take additional classes...no gre, mcat, or letters of rec necessary whatsoever. As an undergrad, I did complete my prerequisites, so basically these post bacc courses were taken to hopefully "enhance" my application. On my transcript, these classes (33 hrs so far) are all classified as PBS, or "post-baccalaureate studies." Does anyone out there know if this kind of work "qualifies" as a post-bacc program on applications? My impression of a post bacc program is one which you either need to take the required prereq's or one in which you take courses (structured program) alongside med students to improve your gpa. So what's the deal with this "PBS" stuff on my transcript? My school does not have a post bacc program for med students whatsoever. If these classes do indeed qualify as post bacc work, does that mean I can take as many courses as I deem neccesary to demonstrate imporvement? I would preferably like to take another 15-20 hrs of upper level science courses that I choose rather than a 1.5-2 yr masters, however I do not want to be penalized for not being in a program (master's/or post-bacc program). Has anyone out there taken more than 50+ hrs post bacc courses (personally chosen)...and were successful? I understand that whatever I do take, it is imperative that I do WELL...so any helpful input would be great...thanks

Members don't see this ad.