Post Bacc? Already have most of med school requirements AND did well in science courses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alatorre623

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a hopeful non-traditional student, age 27, with a BS in Nutritional Science. My degree required me to take most of the pre-med classes, and I did pretty well, graduating in 2015 with a GPA of 3.79.

So I don't quite fall into either category that most post-baccs are looking to admit. I am neither a traditional record-enhancer (although a higher GPA never hurt anyone), nor a career changer (I currently work in healthcare as part of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey team as a nutritionist).

However, I don't think I'd remember much of my chem/bio/biochem courses. It's been so long! Additionally, I have not taken physics or college level calculus (last calc class was 2008-2009).

Ergo, I'd love to do a post-bacc to refresh, as well as to get on the classes I'm missing.

Has anyone been in this same situation or know of someone who has, and how did you (or they) handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The good news is you have a super solid GPA.

How much of general chem, physics, general bio, organic, and biochem do you remember? If not a whole lot, do you have a university close by? I would ask if you could sit in on lectures for the pre recs again to get a refresher, so that you can build up to studying the MCAT. This would save you a ton of money and help you prep for the MCAT at the same time!

What is your science GPA? If it is 3.7+, you are on the right track for MD schools, you just need a strong MCAT performance to demonstrate that you can handle standardized testing.

Head over to the MCAT forum or do some diagnostic MCAT tests to see where you stand, knowlage of the pre recs wise.

You'll need physics, volunteering, shadowing, letters. Calculus isnt required most places.

Also, remove your rl name. Level 9000 psychos on this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need physics, volunteering, shadowing, letters. Calculus isnt required most places.

Also, remove your rl name. Level 9000 psychos on this site.

I figured as much. I travel for work and move often, so I'll have to wait to get off the road before I can started on that.

And thanks for the suggestion, will do. I am curious, though, what kind of psychos?