Post-Bacc and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the Post-Bacc forum, but it has gotten zero replies, so I thought I'd post this here and hopefully can get some feedback.

I'm currently a first-year Post-Bacc student. By the end of this semester, I will have completed my physics requirements. I'm currently re-taking O-Chem since I did poorly in it two years ago, but now I am doing a lot better and have a much better understanding of it all.

I would like to take the MCAT this Fall, however it has been about 4-5 years since I last took Bio and I don't know if I remember much; also, it has been 3 years since I took Gen Chem.

So, would taking the MCAT in August/September be doable for me? I'm planning to start studying in May, so that would give me around 3-4 months in advance. Or should I push it back a few more months, since I'm planning to take upper-level science classes (physiology, biochem, and/or cell) in the Fall, which would refresh/reinforce biology principles for the MCAT?

I'm also wanting to take microbiology over the summer, should I not take it and just devote my time to the MCAT, if you all do think I can take the MCAT? The microbio class that I might take isn't that bad from what I've heard, plus it could reinforce basic bio principles.

Any advice?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the only way you will know if you're ready is to take a practice exam to see how far you may be from a competitive score. You can probably get the bio and chem refresher you need through Examcrackers, Berkeley Review, and/or other MCAT study materials. You might want to consider a review course??

Applying early is really important in this process. You'll be at a significant disadvantage with a fall or later MCAT. If you aren't applying until the 2012 cycle there's no reason to take the MCAT before Jan. 2011.

Wait until next spring when you'll be done with all those classes. Additionally, if you're a post-bac due to a poor GPA, doing well in those classes will help your application. While you can send transcript updates, your application looks more impressive with good grades in tough classes than having "will completes" in said classes. Furthermore, by the time you can send a transcript update, most schools would be in the later parts of their interviewing season. So wait and show the schools you can excel in tough classes.

I think the only way you will know if you're ready is to take a practice exam to see how far you may be from a competitive score. You can probably get the bio and chem refresher you need through Examcrackers, Berkeley Review, and/or other MCAT study materials. You might want to consider a review course??

Applying early is really important in this process. You'll be at a significant disadvantage with a fall or later MCAT. If you aren't applying until the 2012 cycle there's no reason to take the MCAT before Jan. 2011.

Wait until next spring when you'll be done with all those classes. Additionally, if you're a post-bac due to a poor GPA, doing well in those classes will help your application. While you can send transcript updates, your application looks more impressive with good grades in tough classes than having "will completes" in said classes. Furthermore, by the time you can send a transcript update, most schools would be in the later parts of their interviewing season. So wait and show the schools you can excel in tough classes.

Thanks for the responses. To clarify, I have not applied to medical school, yet and I am doing a post-bacc to bump my science GPA--I wasn't a science major (just took the pre-reqs) and got less than stellar grades. Also, I'm hoping to apply in the fall of 2011. So, I guess I'll take the advice of taking the MCAT in the spring of '11.

Thanks again.