Post-bacc at Northwestern or take the classes at a public university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racataca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well guys. Here I am, three years later, having briefly thought that I didn't want to go to medical school, but realizing lately that it's exactly what I want, and that my recent lack of focus, career, intellectual stimulation and purpose in life was due largely to my not following what I have always wanted to do.

In three years, I've been accepted to Northwestern's post-bacc, pre-med program, and then turned down enrollment to attend beauty school (?!?). I have no idea, don't ask. However, I have also earned an MA, with a 4.0 in Linguistics, and told my advisor upon applying that I'm interested in someday taking that MA and applying to medical school, to eventually work in neuroscience.

So my question is this - I am like, pretty in debt. I graduated with a 3.4 in International Studies from Loyola University Chicago, took a medical ethics class and got a B in psychology. I was an environmental health volunteer in the Peace Corps for a year but had to quit due to some pretty insane stuff that went down. I speak Spanish fluently and Korean to an intermediate proficiency. I've taught English in Panama and in Korea, which in no way prepares me for medical school, but I guess it makes me diverse, career wise. I took a college-level biology class and got a strong A in it from Truman College here in Chicago, which has a pretty rigorous science program because of its nursing program, but possibly only Chicago schools will know that. Finally, I have a MA (or will once I have my thesis) in Linguistics from Northeastern Illinois University, and have presented at national conferences as well as have received merit awards because frankly I kick ass at it, haha.

So my question for you guys is - I'm 30. I *have* to work full time because my foreign-licensed husband is studying to take HIS USMLE boards, now that he has the English, and I have adult bills to pay. Should I shell out the $35k or however much it is to do Northwestern's program, which apparently only has a 56% acceptance rate to medical schools, or should I do my classes at UIC or Northeastern or hell, even Truman?

It feels good to be back and have a purpose in life again!!!

Members don't see this ad.

So my question is this - I am like, pretty in debt. I graduated with a 3.4 in International Studies from Loyola University Chicago, took a medical ethics class and got a B in psychology. ... Finally, I have a MA (or will once I have my thesis) in Linguistics from Northeastern Illinois University... Should I shell out the $35k or however much it is to do Northwestern's program, which apparently only has a 56% acceptance rate to medical schools, or should I do my classes at UIC or Northeastern or hell, even Truman?
Not familiar with Northwestern's post-bacc program, but things to consider: does this 56% acceptance rate include everyone who started the program, or just those who finished the program and got above a certain sGPA / committee letter? Depending on how stringent the program's entry requirements are, a 56% acceptance rate may be acceptable in the former and is atrocious in the latter.

The benefit of attending Northwestern vs. lesser known programs would be the perceived academic rigor of the curriculum, but whether this is worth $35k is up for debate. I personally would lean towards the cheaper options in this case given that you're already in what sounds like considerable debt.

Working full-time while pursuing the post-bacc will also mean that you have less time to study compared to your peers and this may impact your grades. Since getting A's will be key to your future application's success, I would recommend minimizing the amount of work obligations while in the post-bacc (and also consider taking the program part-time). Best of luck!

Many non-trad students work full-time because we do not have the option of going back to school full time for financial/familial reasons. If you are already in debt, I (personally) don't see the value of going further in debt in a post-bac program in order to accumulate more debt in medical school.

Regardless of where you go, they are all going to offer the same classes whether it is Northwestern, Uni. or Ill, another university or a community college. They all will be accredited by the same regional bodies which means they meet the minimum requirements. If you work full time, a typical load is two classes a semester. You can start with 1 at a time to get back into the swing of things. You can finish all your pre-req classes in two summers + fall + spring if you choose to, or you can spread it out/take more classes. As for which one looks better (formal post bac or DIY) you can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers and who knows which one is right. Your best bet is to focus on doing well in your classes no matter where you take them and study hard for the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
TY for your advice, guys! I'm not sure what the 56% is or where I saw the statistic, but I guess thinking about it logically, I have about those same chances if I go to a state school and do well.

A question about community colleges - when I first wanted to go to med school, most advice I got was to stay away from Community Colleges? Is this no longer the case? Do med schools not look down on them if you do well on the MCAT? Especially given that I'm very non traditional?

And is GPA enhancement something I need to be worried about, with a 3.4 undergrad (somewhat of an upward trend...2.9 Freshman year, 3.5 sophomore, 3.7 Junior, 3.3 senior but with 19 hours), but no science classes? I don't think my 4.0 at my MA program bears any weight, if I'm understanding everything correctly. Or do I count strictly as a career-changer?

Last edited:
A question about community colleges - when I first wanted to go to med school, most advice I got was to stay away from Community Colleges? Is this no longer the case? Do med schools not look down on them if you do well on the MCAT? ... And is GPA enhancement something I need to be worried about, with a 3.4 undergrad (somewhat of an upward trend...2.9 Freshman year, 3.5 sophomore, 3.7 Junior, 3.3 senior but with 19 hours), but no science classes? I don't think my 4.0 at my MA program bears any weight, if I'm understanding everything correctly.
One issue with community college is the perceived lack of academic rigor among academic circles. Even with a 4.0 in your post-bacc, you may still be disadvantaged at some schools because of this concern, especially given your GPA during your freshman and senior years (i.e. was this 4.0 because of easier coursework, or was it because of actual academic ability?). A great MCAT score will help partially (but not completely) alleviate this fear.

If I were in this situation, I would go to the cheapest university program that I can thrive in. Aiming for a 4.0 should be a top priority during this time, as the results of poor post-bacc grades could potentially take additional years of work (and $$) to overcome. Don't be afraid to take the first semester slow as mentioned above. Best of luck!

One issue with community college is the perceived lack of academic rigor among academic circles. Even with a 4.0 in your post-bacc, you may still be disadvantaged at some schools because of this concern, especially given your GPA during your freshman and senior years (i.e. was this 4.0 because of easier coursework, or was it because of actual academic ability?). A great MCAT score will help partially (but not completely) alleviate this fear.

Ah, got it. I mean Freshman year was your normal 101 level classes combined with a horrible adjustment period. I transferred to art school my sophomore year (because I thought I was going to be a photographer) and got a 3.5, but junior year transferred back to my original school and declared my major as international relations, so a lot of my classes were Arabic I and II, World Cultures, Honors American Pluralism, Intro to Int'l studies, Islamic Mysticism, Healthcare Ethics, Human Origins, Mexican Culture & Heritage, European Masterpieces, Logic, International Political Economy, US Politics, Latin American politics, International Law, Psych, Spanish II, III and IV, Intro to Judaism, Intro to Hinduism, and some directed readings and Independent study courses. Overall I did better in my 300 level classes than I ever did in a 100- level class (I'd say my tendency was to get A's in upper level classes and B's on average in lower level ones). I would say that senior year I was working ~25 hours a week, volunteering in the dark room, and carrying a 19 credit hour load, so hopefully that is taken into account. I'm not sure what that says about my academic prowess, nor am I sure what my Linguistics Masters says about it, but I'm hoping somewhere I have proven I can handle school, haha.

There are a few schools that state that all coursework should be completed at a 4 year university (Johns Hopkins and couple others with similar reputation/rank). Schools have been gradually shifting away from bias against CC classes as more and more applicants start at a community college or take classes there for financial reasons. There is a perception that while you are an undergraduate if you take all your science courses at a cc it because you are trying to avoid the rigor of your university. This can be put to rest by a competitive mcat score.

However, as a non-trad student going back to take post-bac courses, you have other considerations (schedule/cost/work obligations/familial obligations). For some non-trads it is not an option to take classes at a 4 year university leaving cc classes as the only option. For the most part, as others have attested on the forums, adcoms are understanding of this. There are some schools like Tufts that want you to explain why you took classes at a CC at which point you explain your circumstances above. All of this can be put to rest with competitive grades and a solid mcat (the only equalizer for all applicants).

Northwestern ridiculous price is the results of its so called perceived name, not the quality of its education. I would knock out all your prereqs at CC or your local university, depending on their locations to you. Let's be honest here. You're not going to get into places like John Hopkins. So, the main goal is just to get into an American Med school.

Definitely agree with the other posters. I was in this program and the quality of instruction is not reflected in the cost. Unless you have absolutely no other commitments (work, children, etc.), then go somewhere else and save your mental health and GPA. Even then, it will be a difficult road and you are better suited going elsewhere for cheaper and maybe have a chance at quality instructors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing Malcolm X for a semester (either that or UIC as a student-at-large), then I'm doing Loyola's post-bacc pre health program. Malcolm X is supposedly the healthcare focused pathway out of all the City Colleges plus they're opening a brand new multi-million dollar science building Spring 2016, partnered with Rush, but I'm debating not doing my first semester there because I'm afraid it might hurt my med school application down the road or limit me to only IL med schools.

Other Illinois post bacc programs: Illinois Institute of Technology (really well known for their math and science programs), Dominican University's second bachelors, North Park University's 2nd bachelors.

I have an application in for Northwestern's post-bacc program, but I am going to withdraw considering I don't want to wreck my GPA and I've heard horror stories. Best of luck to you.

NB: You can always take courses at any institution (including U of Chicago, UIC, Depaul, Northwestern, Loyola, Rush, IIT, Roosevelt, etc.) as a student-at-large - and do your own post-bacc. The benefits of a formal program include a committee letter, advising, etc.

Last edited:
The benefits of a formal program include a committee letter, advising, etc.

And don't forget priority registration, which was a big reason I did a formal program (I was too much in a hurry - sighhhhh).

That said, I know lots of people who did ad hoc for their post-bacc, in Chicago as well as other places, and they have done just fine with their application cycles. Do what works for you, based on time, money, commitments like work, etc.