Post bacc course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed202098

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering what an appropriate course load would be for me for a post-bacc. The program I am entering requires 24 credits, and has two tracks to start either in summer or fall of 2020. It is a 1 year post-bacc program. I have a 3.4 science gpa and a 3.55 cumulative gpa. I have completed all my prereqs so would be taking mostly upper division bio courses/ chem/neuro courses.

Was wondering if taking 13 hrs fall 2020 with 10 hrs of science and one elective, and then 12 hours spring 2020 (all science) would be enough? Or should i start in summer 2020 and take more science classes?

I am a TX resident.

I want to apply in summer of 2021. I have yet to take the mcat. was planning on studying this summer. I plan to work part time as a medical assistant and build my volunteering as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apply in summer of 2021. I have yet to take the mcat. was planning on studying this summer. I plan to work part time as a medical assistant and build my volunteering as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Definitely focus on the MCAT. Number 1 priority should be the MCAT, everything else comes after it. MCAT scores are for life, you can always take more years off and get experience. That being said, there are people capable of balancing work with MCAT if you must.

Also, some schools are forgiving of MCAT if retaken for a better score. Like the saying goes "The MCAT is like marriage, you want to do it once.", so try not to be forced into such a situation.

"GPA and MCAT get you to the door. EC's get you through it." is also a common saying.

Last edited by a moderator: