Post-Bacc,Experience, other advice for Pre-Med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guest794

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior undergrad finishing this spring and am not sure what I should be aiming for post-undergrad. I was pre-vet, then switched to pre-med (sophomore year) and will probably end up with a 3.2 sci gpa, 3.4-3.5 total. I realize this GPA will be far too low to apply to med. school directly, and have yet to take the MCAT, but have been studying, and hope I will do well. I live within 15 minutes of a DO school and 2 MD schools, and want to eventually apply. The problem is I have 0 hospital experience at this point, haven't shadowed a physician (shadowed vets. and animal experience), have shadowed a P.T. hypo-therapist, and worked with disabled people of all ages. I am also doing undergraduate cancer research, and hope to get a grant for what I'm working on with a mentor professor. At this point, depending on my Mcat, I'm considering applying directly to a Post-Bacc like Georgetown SMP (My Great uncle has a place in DC and has left open the option of me living there for a year with free housing) I was also considering clinical laboratory science, but the program affiliated with my Md university hospital is 2 years, vs. a post-bacc's 1, and the MD/DO route are in the end more preferable to me than a clinical science career. Also, I've had a DO and MD doctor and honestly preferred the DO, the MD gave me drugs and the DO prescribed other forms of therapy, but I want to leave the option open for future residencies so am slightly inclined toward the allophonic route. Would Georgetown be a good idea, Clinical Sciences, a DO school? How do you find a doctor to shadow under HIPPA? Any advice would be appreciated. I also noticed AAMC called for a 30 percent increase in medical school enrollment by 2015, would this help everyone's chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Another pre-med here. I will just comment regarding MD schools.

Doing post-bac is a great way to raise your GPA and many people have benefitted from it. There are a lot of programs including the Georgetown one you mentioned. (EVMS, Temple, Drexel, Cinci, VCU, Loyola, etc.)

What is clinical laboratory science program you are considering? Would it help you raise your overall GPA?

If you are considering MD schools I think the priority would be raising your GPA by doing post-bac programs.

There are a lot of ways to look for physicians to shadow. You can talk to your pre-med advisor or career center about shadowing opportunities or just randomly email physicians who are in the hospitals near you. If you have a friend whose dad or mom is a doctor, you can definitely ask too.

And definitely look for clinical work/volunteer activities.