SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

post-bacc grade

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gonzalok, May 15, 2008.

1. gonzalok

May 15, 2008
    I took 4 post-bacc classes this semester but my grades will not increase my undergraduate GPA. I got all B's. Actually it drops my overall GPA. (MY undergraduate GPA was 3.5) Is it better to not include post-bacc history on my AAMC application? Will there be any disadvantage if AAMC or med school find out that I omitted post-bacc history on application?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Mizzou Med
    The application requires you to list all your coursework and submit all your transcripts. When you submit your application you certify that you have followed the instructions. The big disadvantage is that if the school later finds out you lied in your application they can drop you from the class.
  4. nick_carraway

nick_carraway 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Let's be realistic... in all likelihood, will you get caught? Probably not. Should you do it anyway? No.

Four classes won't drop a 3.5 by that much and although there will be a dip, it certainly doesn't merit the risk.

But if you do, I suggest that you have something to say when adcoms ask what you've been doing for the past semester.

Oh, and BTW. If any one school finds out, you risk being blacklisted at all of them.
  5. kronickm

kronickm even par. 2+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I think they can and probably will find out. There are many stories on these boards of this going wrong for people. I remember one of someone getting booted third year for lying on their app. How would you like to be without a career, having lost three years of your life, and $100,000 in debt for not reporting four B's.
  6. missmuffin

missmuffin 5+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2006
    be honest. grades are not something you want to lie about or even just omit from the app... they will find out.

sorry about your Bs.. but at least they arent Cs? best of luck to you.
  7. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It 7+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Always Bespin
    pics or it didn't happen
  8. EnamelCoating

EnamelCoating Hello. 2+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2008
    seems unlikely. You make it past 3yrs and then they finally decided to boot you? After you've proven for 3yrs that you are able? Either they get you at the begining or the don't.
  9. rfathi1

rfathi1 Post-bacc student 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I highly suspect that they would kick someone out later on, especially if it is a state school. The school would have to report that they lost a student, thus reducing government funding for one student for the next year. Would they be happen? Would you get a recommendation from the school for residency? That's a different question altogether.
  10. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D 5+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2008
    another one of these threads?!?
    why do people insist on trying to hide grades??

no, the B's won't look too good because you want an upward trend, but not playing by the rules is too risky; get caught and it's all over.

im curious as to why you did the postbacc and why your grades went down if you dont mind me asking
  11. dilzmega

dilzmega 2+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2008
    I would not lie about grades at all. I spoke to a couple of different adcomms from a couple of SOM and what they told me is that you post back line is like a clean slate where you can prove your self worthy and all you have to do is counter those B's with some A's and you should be alright. I am at a non trad post bac and I have had 3 strait semesters of a 4.0 since my UG GPA was horrible and I hope to improve my MCAT from a 29 to 33< and everything should be alright. So just take some more classes and balance them out.
  12. kronickm

kronickm even par. 2+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007

You are both wrong.

While your chances of getting caught lying about most things (saying you volunteered 100 hours when you really did 50) are small, your chances of getting caught for attending a school and not reporting it are much much greater. Either way don't underestimate the punishment if you do get caught as it will be very, very severe.