Post-Bacc not taken as seriously?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kikaku21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have talked to some friends recently who are under the impression that grades from post-bacc programs are not taken as seriously as a proper undergrad sequence.

Does this hold any water at all?

Members don't see this ad.

it really depends on your situation. i would go search for information in the non traditional forum, or PM braluk.

I did not find this to be the case at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have talked to some friends recently who are under the impression that grades from post-bacc programs are not taken as seriously as a proper undergrad sequence.

The thing about the postbacc is that it's basically "do or die" in my eyes. Meaning that you need to step up to the plate and if you strike out then it's not going to bode well for you. OR there's even more that has to be done for damage control.

Otherwise, if you do well in the postbacc, no one can deny your success and it's that much more of an indicator that you can handle medical school.

Personally, I can attribute part of my success this application cycle to the postbacc so I see it as a positive thing.

Depends on your undergrad and depends on your postbac.

I think if you have an undergrad from Princeton but do your postbac at a NJ community college, the postbac grades will pale a bit due to comparison.

If you go to a name postbac program full-time, good grades will be impressive. Go to the best program you can, take as close to full a courseload as you can, and get as good grades as you can.

I guess it could depend on the program. But many of the folks I know who took prereqs or upper level sciences at postbacs got into awfully good places. And the big name postbac programs all seem to have impressive med school placement track records, in part because they are a brand name commodity, and in part because their directors effectively market their students to deans at various med schools.

I don't think that's the case, but you are held to a higher standard. Generally post-baccs take less than a full-time courseload (8-12 units of all math and science classes), so you're expected to do well. A 3.7 undergrad GPA, for example, is stellar. A 3.7 post-bacc GPA is decent but not great, especially if you were only taking 2 classes per semester.