Post-bacc options for those who have completed science pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ariadne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Long-time lurker here, finally posting...

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for post-bacc programs for students who have completed all the necessary science pre-reqs (and beyond)?

I'm a fifth year senior planning on graduating next spring with a BS in biology. My overall and BCMP GPAs are below average, but show an upward trend. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but am signed up to do so in August. Everything else about my application is pretty strong, good ECs, clinical experience, LOR, etc., so it's really just the GPA that is an issue for me at the moment.

My pre-med advisor suggested I do an SMP to improve my chances for acceptance to med schools, and I'm interested in both the Cincinnati and GW programs, but I'd like to do a little additional UG work first to help nudge my overall closer to the 3.4 zone and to strengthen the upward trend in UG grades I've demonstrated over the last two years. However, most of the programs I've been researching seem to be designed for non-science students needing to complete pre-reqs. The only option I've come across so far is Penn's 'special science' option. Does anyone know of other schools or programs they'd recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can make your own post-bacc program, just take ugrad classes at any school you wish. University of South Florida has a 2nd degree program, but I doubt a formal program really has much advantage of the just taking classes at a school route.

You can make your own post-bacc program, just take ugrad classes at any school you wish. University of South Florida has a 2nd degree program, but I doubt a formal program really has much advantage of the just taking classes at a school route.

Actually, I've heard going the formal route is much better in terms of results.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I've heard going the formal route is much better in terms of results.

So have I, which is why I'm so frustrated about not finding a program that fits my circumstances...