Post-Bacc or 2nd Bach Degree- Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opt_princess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a graduating senior(Spring07)- BS in Psychology and minor in Biology.
2.8-cumulative GPA(upon graduation)
2.16-science GPA

Here are my Science classes:
Bio I- B, Bio II- C, Chem I, Lab- C+, B, Chem II, Lab- C, Org Chem, Lab- F, C
Physics- C, Biochemistry- D, Genetics- B, Physiology- B+

Need
-34 science courses to bring Science GPA to 3.0- All A's
-33 classes to bring GPA to 3.0- all A-'s.

Should I get another degree before I graduate
-(cheaper for financial aid/more for cost of living)
-I would need exactly 35 hours of all sciences to get a BS in Biology

or do a degree at another University
-no living expenses(this is the main reason my grades were so poor)
-no financial aid since I will have a bacc already
-more classes 45-60- some that aren't even science, just University core

or do an informal Post-Bacc and just do 35 hours in science to bring up GPA
- can do at home(no cost of living)
-no financial aid since post bacc

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered DO schools where your retakes would GREATLY improve your gpa? You need to retake those science classes and do quite well in them. I've been retaking all classes that I didn't do so well (C or below) to help boost my GPA. So far its working ...

Also your first year you'd get financial aid ... if you'd sign up in a "degree" seeking program. I would go for the major in biology and retake those classes you did poorly in. If you feel that you'd like to do a formal post-bacc for the structure I'd go for it. Private loans suck but if you go to an instutition where its a little cheaper and do it yourself that could ease some of the burden. After you get your grades up I would then suggest a SMP to prove yourself.

Its a long road but it can be done. :luck:

Have you considered DO schools where your retakes would GREATLY improve your gpa?
I am actually pre-opt, but also looking into allied health careers. They don't take the new grade, just average the two.

Also your first year you'd get financial aid ... if you'd sign up in a "degree" seeking program. I would go for the major in biology and retake those classes you did poorly in.

Should I do it at my current school, where I have to pay my living expenses(working takes away from study time) and the cost is cheaper for school, or go home and live for free and have to take more classes(+20) to get degree as well as higher tuition(loans)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably try to reduce your overall debt and if you do at home and you can concentrate SOLEY on improving your grades. But if its more expensive at home you have that issue as well. I think you need to concentrate on school and if working is getting in the way of that you should try to reduce you living expenses.

I'd prolly go with the cheaper route too. Really really really figure out why you got those grades though. You're working against two forces here: (1) some kind of minimally effective study habits for those courses you mentioned and (2) losing foundation in basic science courses. Some of these classes build upon each other (e.g., Chem I and II), so doing very poorly in one can lead to doing poorly in the next class, not to mention that these classes may be important for some other class in OPT.

If it was because you had to work for example then obviously do less work, and more studying:) Good luck!