Post-bacc or directly apply to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplepremed4

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an undergrad student.

I currently have 2 options:

1. Take a gap year after graduation to take the MCAT and apply to medical schools and then, hopefully, attend medical school the following year OR
  2. Apply to post-bacc programs during my 4th year, complete the post-bacc during my "gap year", take the MCAT, and then apply to medical school
Background:

• Upon my graduation (next year), I will have completed all pre-med requirements and recommended courses, and I would be graduating with a double major and a minor in a science.
  • My overall GPA is ok (greater than 3.5) but my science GPA is not that great (around 3.0).
    • There is a bit of a gap between my cGPA and sGPA which I know is not the best thing. I have an upward trend however which I've been told is a positive.
  • I plan on applying to both DO and MD.
So, this is where I'm not sure whether to apply to medical school directly or do some sort of post-bacc/SMP (preferably with a linkage).

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What made you decide to to a post-bacc or directly apply to medical school? Are there any resources you recommend checking out?

I have spoken with pre-med advisors but I wasn't able to get much clarity on this decision just yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm no expert but that science GPA will put MD schools out of reach. Someone with more knowledge on SMP / post-bacc will come along and advise.